Water leaking into cab

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I patched my floorboards and replaced the carpet, I’ve been chasing and sealing water leaks into the cab. I re-sealed my drip rails that were leaking down the pillars, and I re-sealed the cowl that was leaking next to the trans tunnel. I thought I had everything sealed, but last time it rained I found another leak. The water is coming in around this cover under the driver’s side kick panel. Has anyone seen this before? I’m wondering if this means my windshield seal is also leaking, or whether there’s another seam somewhere that I need to re-seal. What do you guys think?
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hood seal?
Passenger side heater hose ports from inside the cab will do Passenger floor ir the hood seal fails...

So maybe
Mc
Clutch
Throttle
Plugged vent /cowl drains
Weasels

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ROCK HARVEY If it is leaking there then the cowl drain is plugged up causing it to hold water above the level of that plate.

If I remember correctly I think you can pull the inner fender and there is a clean out for those. I don't remember for sure about that though.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ROCK HARVEY If it is leaking there then the cowl drain is plugged up causing it to hold water above the level of that plate.

If I remember correctly I think you can pull the inner fender and there is a clean out for those. I don't remember for sure about that though.

James
That's it, kinda. Pull the galvanized cover off in your picture and run a vacuum hose in there. I recommend a Kirby with just the hose..,... because they really suck and the hose is thin enough to reach all the way to the actual drain. You kinda gotta stab and stab to break it up. In majestic NW Florida there's always an accumulation of oak leaves in there. Be careful though...... stuff lives in there. I've had huge ant beds in there as well as any critters that live in your truck live in that spot.

Last edited:

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I’ll give that a try and report back. I’m glad to hear that it could be something other than the windshield.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I took a closer look at this today. I pulled that cover and looked around with an inspection camera, and there was some stuff at the bottom but not too much. I didn’t think it was enough to keep water from draining and make that hole fill up. I sucked it all out with a small shop vac, but when I was looking around I realized that the water from the cowl drains down and runs right over that cover on the backside. The cover does have a gasket, which must be meant to keep the water from coming into the cab. I dumped a glass of water on my windshield to test, and sure enough a good bit of it came inside through the open hole where the panel goes (see pic). I’m going to scrape off the old gasket and use silicone to re-seal that cover into place, and I’m betting this water leak will be solved.
You must be registered for see images attach

If your carpet’s wet this might be an easy thing to check!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 leaks, but seem to come in up high where the side wall and floor sealed seam is. I had the Windshield removed, taped it in and drove home the 25 miles.
Worked on it cleaning out the area it live`s in, Por it etc.... drove back to the Shop and had a new glass installed.

Had the Cowel plate off at that time, cleaned it really well, re sealed every thing I could get to.
Still leaks a stream especially when I go through a Car Wash.

Where the water drain down from the cowel area, is a rubber Duck Bill piece that debris builds up behind, that Rock Harvey mentioned.
You can undo the lower part of the plastic inner fender and pull back to get to it.
I pulled the Duck Bill off and it kind of fell apart from dried out rubber.
There was a bunch of debris behind it, but no rust.

I probably have that plate too, take a gander at it later today.

Goat

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The duck bill is at the bottom of the hole behind that plate, if you stick a camera in there and look down you’ll see it 5-6 inches straight down. If you point the camera upwards in that hole you’ll see the cowl opening. The cowl area slopes downwards so water can drain, and it flows right over that plate to get to the duck bill. That plate is sealed with a sticky, rubbery gasket almost like butyl or roofing sealant. I’m going to re-seal mine tonight, and dump some more water on the windshield to make sure I have all the leaks plugged.

I bet that gasket is the source of your leak as well. You’ll need a 5/16 ratcheting wrench to get the top two screws out, unless you take off the parking brake assembly to access them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7