Zf5

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LUK for sure, that's what I swapped my clutch disc out for. basically anything that doesn't have the same hub design as the one pictured.

It's hard to see, but some of the springs were actually rubbing on the flywheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Below you can see the gap between the hub and the disc. None of the springs are broken that I can see, and I had a terrible bounce on accel. Problem solved with a new disc.

I'm still trying to find a part number for an SMF LUK Conversion.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, LUK 07-131A "Should" be the one he needs, but I can't find a good picture of it that shows the hub. I would try and get Napa to order it or find a company that has one in stock and lay eyes on it. I just bought a LUK gold kit(Clutch only) for mine, but it was for a 460, and I didn't use the pressure plate due to a difference in finger height.

Surprisingly, I can't find specs on ANY of their clutch kits. No diameters or anything. but you might a well get the 12.25" Flywheel. You didn't say if you had the clutch fork or not. also, don't know if you have one, but the dust shield on mine didn't clear my flywheel, so I just left it off.

Desertrig

Reaction score
Don't know if that truck falls into the firewall crack years, but my 90 don't look so good on casual inspection (could be just paint) and it doesn't have a clutch... Where are you getting your pedal setup?

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck already has the pedal set up... it has a t19 with a BW transfer case in it now... i just want the overdrive benefits of the zf5... and i would like to only do it once and not have to tear into it for a long time... so IM trying to get the best parts numbers for what everyone has used and IM also trying to figure out what i need to check on the zf5 itself to make sure it wont go out a couple days after i put it in

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, there is no real good way to tell if a trans is good without putting it in. You can row it through the gears all you want, but you'll never know if it has a shot syncro until you fire it up. As long as the shafts look straight and true and it all turns freely, just go for it.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the help jrad... i just wish you could find the part number for the clutch kit that you used and is working great... once i get that the biggest expense will hopefully be covered... and i found a shop local to me that says they will rebuild the zf for 1400... does this sound steep or on par with prices others have experienced?

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1400 is about right, you want to make sure that includes new syncros and bearings(All of them). My shop truck rebuild was 1800 w/ new clutch, rear main, shift fork and slave cyl. But I squeezed the guy really hard for that price.

I would call up Napa or whichever parts store you prefer and have them get ahold of an 07-131A kit from LUK. Make sure they know you aren't buying it if it isn't right. Then just check to see that it A: Has a flywheel, and B: does NOT have the hub that I pictured. If the prev. Two conditions are met, You'll be good to go.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright ill get over to Napa this week... so do i want the hub a solid piece on the clutch or ANY LUK clutch that doesnt have that hub will be good?

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want an inner hub(The part you slide the input shaft into) that doesn't have notches, or teeth, holding it to the rest of the clutch disc (As previously pictured).

You want a hub that is formed to the disc, like pictured:

If they give you any trouble, just tell them you want a 12.25" Single mass flywheel conversion kit. don't pay for it in advance if you can't ensure it has the right hub on the disc.

Desertrig

Reaction score
Sorry I missed the t19 in the op. I can't decide whether I'm a tightwad or a gambler - I'd risk a 2nd R&R against 1400.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright thanks again for the quick response my petc o ck oring on my radiator went out last night so the truck was deadlined for this morning... have to go to the parts store and get a new one... worse part is i just did a coolant flush like a month ago and now its ALL over my driveway. so im replacing that and the lower rad hose and belts tonight so ill be sure to order the clutch kit too