zf5 tranny making noises

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What fluid are you running in it.. Have you checked the level since the noise started. When did this start happening and did you tow heavy or miss a shift lately..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Fourth gear is direct drive IIRC.
Which means it's not transferring power through the countershaft, which in turns means the bearings have gone south.
If you had said 3rd and 5th, I could positively say, input gear/bearing and countershaft gears/bearings.

ididieseler

Reaction score
i'm running the recommended fluid, it sat for three years and i just now fired it up it didn't make the noises when i parked it

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rookie question, where to i check the fluid level on the zf5? or have i completely over looked a filler stick somewhere under the hood...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As for a location and a full level some owners add another quart by filling thru the top shift cover. That is supposed to soften some of the roll over noise some find ofending after installing a single mass clutch and fylwheel set.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
As for a location and a full level some owners add another quart by filling thru the top shift cover. That is supposed to soften some of the roll over noise some find ofending after installing a single mass clutch and fylwheel set.

by the way with that noise is there any damage being done to the transmission or is it just noise?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online