ZF5 swap cost ballpark...

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morganzo,

IF you'll give me a little time (and you're NOT impatient), I'll find you a running or wrecked truck with ZF for CHEAP, especially if you don't need a title.
(There seems to be a lot of the old IDI Fords around South TX, sitting out in the weeds = That's where I found my "new to me" 1986 XLT..)
About 90 days ago, I saw such a 1991 F-250 sitting out in a farm pasture near Castroville for 300.oo with 170K.

yours, satx

Thanks SATX78247, I'll def look into a parts truck for that cost. Most of the trucks near me are much more expensive than that. The one i talked about in this thread got sold so, back to square one. Right now, it's at the shop so when it comes back i'd like to drive it for awhile before i pull it apart again. we'll see. The right truck for the right price is hard to turn down.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morgonzo,

Inasmuch as I'm always looking for antique 1950-1965 glass & tin boats, "sitting about looking unloved" & "out in the weeds", I often find the old Ford diesels, too. - NO trouble to send you the info.

Just today, I found a 1989 f250 Club-cab with a ZF & turbo but it's WAY too nice to part out. = It needs the fluids/filters changed, 2 batteries, a good tire & a FI pump. =====> I'm guessing 2000.oo with everything but the paint-job done.
(It desperately NEEDS an all-over paint job.)

It has a working hydraulic left-gate, too, as well as a bunch of good/extra parts.

yours, satx

Last edited:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]

I am thinking about doing this and my 86 f350 CCLB has the C6, would it be more difficult or easier?

Im not positive, but I THINK the C6 and ZF5 are the same length. I think I read that on pirate4x4. I'd look into it either way.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Small block zf is longer , needs crossmember moved back and driveshafts done. Big block c6, zf, 4 speed are same length. I believe diesel are same length too.

mbarry98

Reaction score
I'm also doing this swap hopefully late next month and from the 10+ threads I've read across the internet (3 being C6 to ZF swaps) you shouldn't have to change driveshafts all that needs to be done like dunk said is the crossmember needs to be moved back to the next set of holes which are already pre drilled in the frame. Good luck with this swap I believe it's well worth the $1500 I'm investing in it [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it all depends where you shop around. I paid 280 for my 2wd ZF, pedal clutch and flywheel. Went from e40d, had new front part of shaft made(needed extensions and slip converted to fixed yoke).
The deals are out there. 2wd shoudl be very cheap, 4x4 ZF 2-3x the price. Or can do divorced like i did later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online