ZF5 speed

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Ford F-250 regular cab 4x4 with a T19 in it and 3.54 gears. Running down the road at 65 miles per hour i was doing about 2450 RPM's. I would realy like to swap a ZF5 speed into it. But after looking on Evilbay as some of you call it I have come upon this . And when reading it, it says it fits Regular cab 4x2 trucks :mad: . So is there any way I can get a ZF5 speed to work in my truck.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yea,You can either get a 4x2 tranny and a divorced transfer case or a 4x4 Tranny and your transfercase might bolt to it.Good chance you might have to fab up a crossmember since I ain't sure if the T and ZF crossmembers are interchangable.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They may have both 4x2 and 4x4 trannies available. The pictures at the bottom are of two different trannies; the first is of a 4x4 unit and the second is of a 4x2 unit.

I would contact the seller and ask for a confirmation that, if you buy one, you'll end up with a 4x4 tranny. While a divorced case setup could be done, it'd be a huge PITA...especially since dropping a 4x4 ZF in place of a T-19 is such a (relatively) simple task.

A 4x4 ZF will bolt up...you'll need a new clutch assembly (I would recommend a LuK SMFW conversion kit, since you'll need to buy a flywheel anyways) and floor pan insert, and I would recommend a crossmember out of a ZF truck (although, in retrospect, I think I might have been able to use my T-19 crossmember in my conversion, but I didn't have enough time to find out, so I can't say whether it'll work or not, and IMHO better safe than sorry). The 4x4 ZF is the exact same length as the 4x4 T-19, so you won't have to do any driveshaft modifications, especially if you use the 13-45 transfer case that's currently behind your T-19 (I think that the yokes are bigger on the 13-56, requiring custom U-joints or modified driveshafts).

I did a T-19 to ZF5 conversion a little over a year ago, and I imagine it'll pay for itself pretty soon with how ridiculous fuel prices are getting to be. Certainly, it's paid for itself in terms of drivability!!

I need to get my write-up done... *sigh* -cuss school!!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I wasnt planning on getting a tranny from them (although if I do this swap I might) but I was using it more as an example.

The Warden were would I find one of these LuK SMFW conversion kit, and a floor pan insert?

So I have a borg warner 1345 transfer case, I always thought I had a borg warner 1356.

How much of a drop in RPM's will I experience when I get done?

Thanks for all the help.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You SHOULD have a 13-45...to my knowledge, all '83-'86 IDI's do from the factory, unless someone swapped in a 13-56. The floor pan insert will need to be located at a junkyard. I posted some pictures in another thread a few months back demonstrating why the T-19 floor pan insert won't work with a ZF5; it might be worth doing a search for the thread.

The clutch...I got mine from http://www.dial-a-clutch.com at a reasonable price, but if you could find one locally, it would be better, since shipping's ridiculous (almost $100, because the flywheel's so heavy).

I don't know about the RPM drop (don't have the calculator with me), but my fuel mileage increased from 13-14 to 16-17 (and 20 sometimes on a straight freeway run)...made a BIG difference. OTOH, I've got 4.10's...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far the the crossmember goes, the T19 should be just fine. I have a crossmember off a ZF5 equipped '91 F350 gasser under my T19. I swapped the crossmembers during my Dana 60 conversion. Just bolted in place of the T19 job. So, you should be fine with your old crossmember. Photos of the corssmember on my truck in the webshots gallery if ya wanna see.

Wish I had an overdrive too...... but the 37 inch tires make it bareable. With an overdrive, I'd likely swap in 3.73's or 4.10's in the axles.

Heath

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey ford guy iam in newberg and I can get you a very good price on the flywheel ,clutch kit. let me know and I can price it.
russ

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hey typ4 that would be ;Sweet , but I'm probably not going to do this swap for a while, possibly next summer. Can you hold off on getting it until then, or would you have to do it now?