ZF5 Rebuild

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it seems very similar but maybe just a bit thicker. I am running roughly 6 quarts in mine and it seems to like it there, I don't notice any rollover noise and it shifts smooth.

Did you get a picture of the magnet in the bottom of trans yet? typically if you have had a gear grinding it will be caked with metal particles.

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Craftsmen Bolt Out "Easy out" worked no problem on those bolts! Finally I can get going on swapping the reverse synchro.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm sure ATF and hydraulic fluid are very similar. They probably have different properties though that make one ideal over the other for the indicated application.

That universal tractor hydraulic fluid/transmission fluid is basically the same as what a ZF calls for in a heavy duty environment, so no worries. I used that stuff as a break in oil on my boxes to clean them out before putting the Amsoil 30 wt ATF in.

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are great LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

Allen bolts out

Basically all the bolts in the tranny

Reverse gear and shaft out

Pulling the shift rails off

Everything

Close up

Rear of the case

Need a bearing puller now to get the synchro swapped out

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to use a good amount of heat and a bearing puller and it was still a job to get that stupid bearing off there. I ended up splitting the one off my parts tranny to get it off there, but you would have to be really careful doing that. I heated the crap out of it and and couldn't budge it, finally my bearing puller broke and i really wanted to get that stupid thing apart that day so I split it off there with my torch.

There is a special attachment that you can get to fit that bearing cone but I am not sure how much it would cost, I would rather not reuse the bearing anyway after heating it to get it off. I think you aren't supposed to heat them more than 15 minutes at 350 degrees when reinstalling, so I am sure that heating it with a torch is not ideal, but I couldn't get it apart without heat.

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the big worry is over with, the clutch matches the flywheel!

Bolt holes and all ;Really

Is there a certain brand/style puller you preferred?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea i am enjoying the pics in case i ever need to dive in mine;Sweet

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When putting it back together it is nice to be able to have it stand straight up but where the output shaft sticks out past the tail of the trans it is kind of impossible to do before everything is fastened in (it will be hard to get the main shaft to stay in place while you put everything together this way). I found that a Mobile home axle drum works for a perfect stand to hold the tranny straight up and down while reassembling, the hole in the center is just the right size for the output shaft to go through and the shape of the drum holds it really well. You could probably also take some boards and make a little stand to hold it while reassembling.

And I went out to the garage and found out the exact kind of sealant I used when I mated the trans back together, i remember being told to never use any silicone based sealants on this transmission and to only use an anaerobic sealer, well the brand I bought was Permatex 51531 Anaerobic Flange Sealant and it worked great I don't have any leaks at all and if I would have used silicone I would have worried that it might stop up an oil passage somewhere down the road on a long trip and strand me in the middle of nowhere.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
yea i am enjoying the pics in case i ever need to dive in mine;Sweet

Yup. Tis always nice for somebody else to be the guinea pig.

Hey Mel, This un looks like it's a techward bound thread eh?;Sweet

Nice work!

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
an anaerobic sealer, well the brand I bought was Permatex 51531 Anaerobic Flange Sealant

That's the sealant that cures from pressure correct? I just so happen to have some of that. That's what I use to seal my t-case halves together.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you have to tighten it down within a couple minutes of applying it, it cures because a chemical reaction that occurs when you tighten it down, or something like that.

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep thats it! I'm off to the machine shop to have them pull the bearing and race so hopefully the bearing shop across the street has it in stock!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Tis always nice for somebody else to be the guinea pig.

Hey Mel, This un looks like it's a techward bound thread eh?;Sweet

Nice work!

Yup. I already spent a bunch of time stripping the intercooler installation out of it so it would be ready to go there.