ZF5 and T19 Switcheroo

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Merry Christmas! I got the money to buy a 1989 f250 ZF5 4x4 parts truck with the 7.3idi and I am wondering if it could work where I could put my t-19 in the 7.3 for resale purposes after I am done doing the ZF swap in my 6.9 idi? Any info would be great I am hoping to pick up the truck tomorrow. Also what modifications need to be done to put the five speed in the four speeds place?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should work fine. You will have all the parts there to make both swaps work out. Only thing you will run into that I did not know about when I did my swap is the zf flywheel(I did a c6 to zf swap). The zf uses a dual mass flywheel. Like the clutch, these wear out. The truck I used as a donor had a wore out flywheel in it. There is a chance your donor's flywheel may have already been swapped to a solid conversion. If not, then that is an expense you need to plan for, a solid conversion flywheel kit. Rockauto has been the cheapest source I believe, unless you are really cheap and want to do the Lucky Mod like I did.

And get ready, you will get a little noise from the zf with the conversion flywheels. Some are more noisy than others, it depends on how smooth your engine idles. It will sound like there is gravel in your trans at idle.

You can't use your 4 speed flywheel with the zf.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's only a 1 inch difference between the two trans. the ZF is a little longer. Flywheel, clutch, trans, floorpan, crossmember and brackets are all items you want to swap over for a clean appearing job.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You defintely want to make sure to go SMF when you do the swap. The stock DMF is a time-bomb in several ways, one of which is that it has a "torque limiter" clutch inside, which will slip on you when you get it hot.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
use the t-19 flywheel, clutch and tcase along with the cross memeber.
same when you put the zf in use all the zf suff.
did this a while back, put a t-19 from an 83 in a 92 that was auto then zf5 before i got it.
also put a t-19 from a 84 in a 88 that had a zf5.
cant remember what i did for drive shafts.if the originals worked or I used the ones for each trans, the 88 and 84 were both reg cab long beds.
and the 92 I had to make shafts because the ones in it went right

briankk

Reaction score
You defintely want to make sure to go SMF when you do the swap. The stock DMF is a time-bomb in several ways, one of which is that it has a "torque limiter" clutch inside, which will slip on you when you get it hot.

When moving from DMF to SMF flywheel, does 6.9 SMF harmonic balance have to move with it? Would there be long-term consequences otherwise?

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to check your diff gearing. The T-19 top gear is a direct 1:1, where the ZF is an OD (around .75 or so). Running a direct trans with 4.10 gears will be loud and will reduce your cruise speed quite a bit. Fuel mileage will be in the toilet too. A direct trans with 3.55s is livable, but an OD with 3.55s is nice!
The market in your location might be different, but I wouldn't give more than $500 for a direct trans and 4.10 truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online