Zf/ Oil Leak still

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally finished the Zf swap and driving down the highway is amazing:D.
Although there still seems to be a leak from my drain. I dont know how it happens but it drips of the starter area about every five seconds if I run it. I can feel the drain tube and it is definately in the intake. Could the valley pan be clogged maybe? Or maybe could I have the drain in the wrong hole on the valley pan??

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you punch holes inside the valley pan by where the drain tube grommet is? Maybe the oil is backing up? I hadda do this on one of my previous IDI's. The oil would back up and leak back out the drain tube grommit.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by punch holes. This is exactly whats happening to mine. There are two holes in the intake, one has a plug and the other is currently for the drain, could I switch the two?

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the one with a plug is just a water drain, cant put it there. What I meant by punching holes in the valley pan was to take a punch or something and punch holes down where the oil drain goes into the valley pan. If you look down into the hole where you have the oil drain now you will see a tin plate down in there. This is the baffle that keeps oil from being sucked into the cdr valve. That plate is what you might need to punch holes into. I punched about 5 or 6 5/16" holes in there and it elimainated my prob. Some people have to do it others dont. Mine wasnt draining enough so I had to do it.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I will definately try this, So I should remove the drain and hit a few holes straight down in the drain hole right?
Thanks a bunch

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I will definately try this, So I should remove the drain and hit a few holes straight down in the drain hole right?
Thanks a bunch
Yup, exactly, silicone the heck outta the drain tube when you push it back down to. I would also take out the drain tube grommit and silicone the groove around the outside of that too before you put it back in. Good luck on gettin 'er to seal up

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to do it today, but I was wondering if anything was going to fall into the valley ...But I guess that wouldn't hurt anything..IDK

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing can really get in there once you got the drain tube back in neway. I wouldnt worry bout it.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, its like a seperate chamber that is completely isolated from the rest of the valley pan and motor. Its hard to explain. Wish I had some pics

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US