zf-5 reverse problems

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
i just bought my truck a week ago and the guy i bought it off of could get it into reverse no prob but when my dad tried it would grind when he let the clutch out, and then i tried same thing. it feels like it engages the whole way and shifts through all the other gears smooth. but when i try to back up it ginds. when it grinds i push the clutch to the floor and wiggle it around in nuetral then back to reverse and grinds again then back to neutral then on the third try it will stay in reverse. just dont know what needs replaced. has 151k all factory parts

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ZF-5 did the same thing. I found out that if you hold the shifter while you're in reverse it's fine. Hopefully this works for you too, I've heard that many ZF-5's have this problem.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
It is a common zf problem. If you put it in 5th then reverse it helps. But holding it does best. if you cant deal with it you can tear it apart . i believe it is 5th gear slider

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
5th to reverse has a lock so you don't shift into it by mastake. So 3rd to reverse works. Before mine died I found if you shifted firm and fast you could get it

Thats how i have been shifting every zf i drive with out any problems, works perfect

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
It is a common zf problem. If you put it in 5th then reverse it helps. But holding it does best. if you cant deal with it you can tear it apart . i believe it is 5th gear slider

tried that and it didnt work

when i let the clutch out it feels like it isnt in reverse the whole way and grinds

with mine you just flick it and it falls right into gear, oh it doesnt have a reverse block, when my dad drove it home (he's used to the 77 and 73 4 speeds) he would push it over too far and hit reverse instead of 4th, then when he went for 3rd he hit overdrive

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never met a manual trans that you didn't need to put it in first and then reverse. Reverse is usually not a synro mesh gear, so you need a forward gear to stop the clutch disc from spinning. Once you've acomplished that, as long as you make a smooth move to reverse, it should work fine. :dunno I would never just go from neutral to reverse. I never even try, it's a habbit regardless of what I'm driving.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Does the truck have a body lift or is there a bind on the floor pan to shifter lever causing the transmission to not completely engage?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I wonder if your dad tanked reverse if he accidentally hit reverse trying for fourth. Might have stripped the gear some.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said, it's a common problem. What I do is put it in reverse, and like others have said, hold pressure on the lever. Then slowly let out on the clutch. As the clutch starts kicking in, you will feel the lever move further into reverse, and then you are golden, and it will stay. It you just stick it in reverse and let out on the clutch, it will grind almost every time.

If this doesn't work for yours, it must be bad enough where it's going to need work. If you ever get it into reverse, you will also find that reverse is too fast, and a little bit aggravating. If you are backing a heavy load, you pretty much have to put the transfer case in low range.

Reverse is really the only thing I don't like about the zf. Other than that, it's a good tranny.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
As others have said, it's a common problem. What I do is put it in reverse, and like others have said, hold pressure on the lever. Then slowly let out on the clutch. As the clutch starts kicking in, you will feel the lever move further into reverse, and then you are golden, and it will stay. It you just stick it in reverse and let out on the clutch, it will grind almost every time.

If this doesn't work for yours, it must be bad enough where it's going to need work. If you ever get it into reverse, you will also find that reverse is too fast, and a little bit aggravating. If you are backing a heavy load, you pretty much have to put the transfer case in low range.

Reverse is really the only thing I don't like about the zf. Other than that, it's a good tranny.

You would like a ZF 5 s47 then

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the guy who owned the truck before you wasn't patient with the shifter, he may have forced it one too many times and bent the shift fork. It the fork is bent, it will need some work.

Heath

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines down due to no reverse anymore,,,same problem, whats the cure to fixin it???? need it for winter here cuz other vehicle is dodge dually and they are no good in snow, even with 4x4

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my zf does the same , and holding it while letting the clutch out doesn't help me either. usually i put it in first and move ahead slightly and while still rolling forward at maybe a 1 mph try to put it in reverse that usually does it but if it don't wanna go i just put it in 4 low ( if you gotta 4x) and it will always pop right in then.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
found out it is the synchro
Jimmyf250 you probably need to buy a 5th or reverse gear and replace the reverse in it. 5th and reverse on the zf5 are the same
Hesutton he was not ******* the shifter or truck, he never shifted at over 2000 rpm and always let the rpm fall before he shifted and pushed the clutch to the floor so no grinding or power shifting.
Silver burner. the guy we bought it off of said it had a problem with reverse and you had to let the rpm die down and just let it slide itself in, dont just grab and ram, still havent figured out the trick yet
Agnem have to get you to try mine at the IDI rally if i make it and dont have it fixed by then, have a friend that is a tranny pro and he said if he could fix it he would so hopefully he wil be able to do it in 2 weeks or so.
Dsl Dog Catcher no no body lift or floor pan damage

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online