WVO station

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ok I decided I will go down the wvo route, so I'm gathering info about all the parts I need to make my own pick up and filter station.

I will need drums, big tank etc.

What do you guys think of this pump to suck the wvo from one drums filter and poor on another drum?

Also I'll need a 12v pump for pick up at the restaurant.

Any ideas?
I have my own idea of how I will heat the oil but I will post about it as soon as I have it done.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't look at the shipping, but at 20 bux...you can't go wrong. Keep in mind the "oil" is full of crap in suspension. that is the reason why the stuff gets changed out.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I plan to let it sit for 1-2 weeks before I filter it. I still have no idea how do you guys get rid of the junk that is left at the bottom.

What about this one to pick-up at the restaurant?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
EZ, can you get the restaurants to put the oil back the cubies? A lot easier to carry and transport home. I got permission to I dump my bad oil, and contaminates back into the restaurants oil drum to let the processor haul it away.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
GRuss said:
EZ, can you get the restaurants to put the oil back the cubies? A lot easier to carry and transport home. I got permission to I dump my bad oil, and contaminates back into the restaurants oil drum to let the processor haul it away.

Hey Gary, what size do you use? I don't know about dump the stuff back on their drum maybe Yes, maybe I'll have to dump it myself. How much could it be anyway?

Any thoughts on the pumps? quality, price? Can I get them some where else or make one better myself?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of the cheapie guys use the first pump you mentioned, some love it, some say they gotta replace it all the time...I would fiture the $20 would be better spent on 3 lunches by the local burito truck, that may last longer! The first one is a clear water pump.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
EZ

You can pick up that pump from a Harbour Freight for around the same price - might check and see if you have a HF around your area. I have one but haven't used it yet because I have not been making fuel yet - still got some stuff to take care on my processor before running the first batch...

I have been picking up oil from the local watering hole in the cubes

as for getting rid of the nasties - just put it in the trash every week - it's not hazardous waste it's just nasty smelly stuff but not a haz mat situation.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
The pump I have is of unknown origin. I think it is for an oil furnace but not sure. I got it at a garage sale. It is a centripetal pump with 3/4" pipe fittings and a 3/8" shaft that I hooked to a 1/3 hp motor. I can pump 10 gals in about 2 mins. I use 5/8 garden hose with a piece of 1/2" copper tubing that I capped the end and drilled 4 1/4 holes in the tubing about 3" off of the bottom so I don't suck the sludge from the bottom of the cubies.
I would say I get about 10% of garbage that I have to get rid of. My supplier is a good guy and works with me. He is happy to see some one use the oil for some thing other than dog food(where most of the WVO goes).

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I've heard that those clear water pumps are a good pump to start with but need primed to start I dunno I haven't used one my pumps 8hp has wheels and a steering wheel :Sly ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well, I have plenty drums and a 2000gallon tank I can use (thanks to Charlie "landscapeman"), now what type of container do you said you leave at the restaurant to let them fill it up?

I will get a filter with the size of the drum top to filter all the bif chunk first, then after it sits for 1-2 weeks I pump it into the water heater and from there I'll pump it through a 10micron filter into another tank where it will sit for another week and into the tank. Is all this right or should I do it in a different order?

For keeping the fuel warm I will get a heat exchanger right before the fuel filter and I will conver the rear tank with some idea I got so I will heat the tank. I will not heat the lines yet since it is summer but if I have problems I will heat or insulate those too.

Any ideas are very wellcome I have not put it all togheter yet.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
what type of container do you said you leave at the restaurant to let them fill it up?
The resuraunt should buy it's oil in plastic "cubies" (just under a 5 gallon container). Ask them return the oil back to the cubies when they change it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
NapaBavarian said:
Have you been to www.frybrid.com/forums ? Just stay away from buying from them...unless you can wait 6 months for the kit to arrive ;Sweet

I registered on the site and it seems to have lots of info but I still can't find a plumbing diagram or how many pumps I need on one filtering station etc, maybe I'm looking on the wrong forum.

If any of you guys have some pics I would like that too.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well after some research I have a better idea of what to do and how the system works, now what do you guys think buy a kit (all done) or make it myself? the price would depend on how many filters I want on the system I think.

This kits run for $500 and up, how much did you guys spend on your kit?