Wtb/rent 6.9/7.3 idi freeze plug installation tool

dsbyrd

Reaction score
Looking to buy or rent the tool to install freeze plugs in need of one asap any help would be appreciated

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The freeze plugs I have installed were concave in shape. I placed the plug in the hole and hit it with a flat punch and hammer. I just hit it once, but I hit it pretty good.

dsbyrd

Reaction score
I've heard of people doing this and having them pop out driving down the road and with this motor being a new rebuild I don't want to take the chances

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
He's right. The correct freeze plugs need the tool, unless you have a lot of experience installing them.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

dsbyrd

Reaction score
Do you know where I can get the tool I called OTC and it is discontinued

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You take that to a machine shop and have them make you one.
A few members here have them, but I don't know if anyone is close to you.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No clue.
It'll vary by shop. If the guy has some free time to make it, not as much. If he's backed up and you need it now, $$.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for knowing the differance in doing it or doing it correcly. Very few members are capable of using a hammer and puch as mentioned. I'm the one that had a crappy shop mechanic do just this and I lost a freeze plug about 2 miles into my first drive. That was costly with the tow but the shop paid part of the charge. then around 5000 miles later I blew another plug on the Ca Grapevine hill. No change in coolant temp because of no coolant around sender....:mad::mad::mad:-cuss Next thing I knew was engine oil temp was passing 330 degrees and the thin oil started the lifters knocking. Engine seized up. Funny thing was this crappy shop told me to let them fit it if this happens again. Well they got the chance but screwed me over good on that one. I asked the owner if they use the special installer tool and he told me yes.. but I asked the guy doing it and nope.. Just a hammer and punch... On top of that they used a BRASS FREEZE PLUG......:rolleyes:-cuss-cuss-cuss:eek: Please DO NOT use any other aftermarket freeze plug. Use only the Ford Motorcraft freeze plugs that come 7 to a bag. They are a stainless steel plug designed to cut into the edges of the block plug hole. Make sure that hole is very clean too and use some sealant on that plug to block. This is very important too. I used permatex aviation cement in the small can with the brush in the cap. Its a white plastic can with blue writing on it and about 2 inches tall and about the same diameter. The tool is designed to place the cup plug correctly in the block. Holds it there as the install is happening. The driver dimples the plug just enough and wont over insert it either ...This is a very special job and there is really no way of checking if the job was done correctly. Only way to know its done right is to try removing them.. And that ruins the plug so there is no way. Because of my issues I make up a complete set of hydro plates for all the coolant passages on the block. I actually pressure tested my block before I finished my second build after that shops mistakes... BTW I have never used not recommended that shop to anyone... And they are VERY WELL KNOWN of their work on Ford flatheads and older Ford "Y" block engines. Sadly they don't know **** about idi diesels...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have a guy make them a couple of years ago. I asked for orders for more, never got any. There was a couple of people wanting them, but I had them made in batches of six to make it worthwhile. They sold for $115 shipped. OTC at that time wanted $250 for them.

dsbyrd

Reaction score
So I took the diagram to a machine shop $260 to have it made kinda steep but I went for it. My next question for you guys is what size or part number are the ford plugs

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I took the diagram to a machine shop $260 to have it made kinda steep but I went for it. My next question for you guys is what size or part number are the ford plugs

In the stickies orvtech section are part no lists

attachment.php

JM7.3CW Eh!

Attachments

• 2016-07-14 22.09.18.jpg
    2016-07-14 22.09.18.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 73

dsbyrd

Reaction score
I cant seem to find the part number for the factory freeze plugs in the stickies section can someone help with the part number or provide a more precise location

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also need one, and plan to make several when I do. I can build these, but I'm busy in my shop now, like they say more $$ if you need it now. 260 seems a little high, 150 would be a fair price, especially if its harden.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online