Wrecked my truck today :(

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I've been on the phone all day. I contacted several different attorneys. They all came to the conlusion i am liable for the trailer since im the one at fault. It didn't help that I got a citation for "too fast for conditions". One very helpful guy I talked to said it wouldn't be worth me fighting it. Any big company has crossed their t's and dotted their i's on this stuff. They could get in huge trouble for denying me coverage on something I have the right to. They're not going to risk it. I believe liability insurance would have transferred over to the trailer had I hit another vehicle. At least in the state of SC you have to have a separate policy on the trailer itself to protect it and it's contents from damage. I also found out most policies only cover vehicle accessories that are from the factory. Any extra stuff you add to your truck you have to get a custom policy on. They're only giving me $250 for personal property loss. That's not even enough to buy a new tool box...won't even touch the ladder rack. I did get some good news that they are going to cover my trip to the er to get checked out. Only $1000 personal protection coverage. I'm not crazy about putting all this stuff out online, but I'm hoping yall can learn from my mistakes. You better be sure you know all the facts on your policy before you get screwed up the rear like me. I'm trying to stay positive about it all. At least I'm still kicking.

Money can be remade. Spines can't be completely repaired (ask me how I know), limbs can't be regrown, etc.

Still sucks though !

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad to hear you are ok and nobody else got hurt. rollover on the interstate pulling a trailer could have been much worse.
one thing to remember about insurance companies is: the squeeky wheel gets the oil. if you don't hassle them they won't do **** for you!

my trailer is owned by my dad, but insured by both of us . wether he is hauling it behind his truck or I'm hauling it behind my van. but it is only covered behind our vehicles, if we lend it to anybody else they are not covered unless they have a policy on it.

not sure how the insurance system works in US states, but here insurance claims get tricky when the driver is charged. liability works the same but all the extras are thrown into negotiations, and it doesn't usually work in the drivers favour.

I think you should be carefull what you post on here about your insurance company and your claim, and possibly see if this thread can be locked or deleted . its your decision along with moderators but its something you should think about.

be carefull
take care , you were lucky .

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
I think you should be carefull what you post on here about your insurance company and your claim, and possibly see if this thread can be locked or deleted . its your decision along with moderators but its something you should think about .
I wouldn't think I could get into any trouble? I never stated who my insurance provider actually is. I'm not taking them to court, but if I was i definitely wouldn't post anything about it online.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i deal with litigation daily. if you were going into an area you shouldn't, I would have let you know already.
you're fine.
I do have a question, you boss who owns the trailer is hanging you out for this and not taking on any responsibility?

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
He never told me I had to replace it. I took responsibility for it. I feel it's the right thing to do because it was my fault. After talking with the attorney it turns out I am legally obligated to replace it anyway. I am not his direct employee, I'm more of a sub contactor. I own my own separate business.