Wrecked my truck today :(

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to see you totaled your truck.

However, the best part of this story, is you are on the forum, able to type and post pictures of the accident. I've lost a couple of vehicles to totals (2 passenger cars). Nothing this bad, but in both cases, the cars died, but all passengers walked away uninjured.

Take a bit to recover, and start shopping. I do agree with Calvin, if you can keep the truck, you have some very desirable parts for the next one........

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only ways to stop that sway once it starts is applying trailer brakes only, or hold wheel steady and slowly accelerate. The latter option works, but only if you have room in front of you and often the swaying starts when you start to slow down for a reason.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the loss. Glad you're ok!

The cab held up pretty well if the truck did in fact roll over. I wonder of the headache rack may have helped prevent a worse cave-in of the roof. Having recently restored a nearly identical cab, I can tell you there isn't very much roof support in these trucks. I think in 1987 they added an extra roof brace (3 for 87 up, vs 2 for 80-86), but that wouldn't change much.

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
It definitely rolled. That's one of the few parts of the wreck I can remember. You should have seen the looks on people's faces that saw it happen. I think they were expecting me to be dead or something. That ladder rack was all aluminum, but It did cantilever over the cab. There was a 5 gallon bucket of light switches and other electrical junk in the back seat. Some of them were stuck in the windshield. I had to dig around through all my tools to even find phone. This whole thing has turned out to be a nightmare. Insurance won't cover the trailer, the ladder rack, my tool box, ladders, or the pallet of block I had. Just the truck. I'm kind of worried they aren't going to give me much for it either since it's 27 years old. I'd love to be able to just keep it for the motor and tranny, but I need the money to replace the things like the trailer that don't belong to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
Hopefully this information will help someone. I knew you were suppose to balance your trailer load, but obviously I didn't take it seriously enough to slow down for a minute and fix it. And make sure if you borrow a trailer that the owner has it insured otherwise you're stuck with it. I would have thought the ladder rack and tool box would have been covered since they are attached to the truck, but I guess not. I'm back to driving my little v6 f150 for now.

Last edited:

pafixitman

Reaction score
Commercial (assuming you had one) policies get tricky. Even though technically my 6X12 enclosed was covered when attached to the truck, she had her own policy along with the tools inside. I paid for it, but my business was insured pretty damn good for everything from accidents, theft, liability, work comp etc. One area I do not cheap out.

And to think I am getting ready to start it all over again one state south!:dunno

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be fighting that tooth and nail. Anything attached to the truck should be covered. Not 100% sure on the trailer but the boxes and rack were permanent to the truck.

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
I'd be fighting that tooth and nail. Anything attached to the truck should be covered. Not 100% sure on the trailer but the boxes and rack were permanent to the truck.

That's what I'm questioning now. I specified that they were bolted to the truck.

Commercial (assuming you had one) policies get tricky. Even though technically my 6X12 enclosed was covered when attached to the truck, she had her own policy along with the tools inside. I paid for it, but my business was insured pretty damn good for everything from accidents, theft, liability, work comp etc. One area I do not cheap out.

And to think I am getting ready to start it all over again one state south!:dunno

I misunderstood about the type of business policy I had. Apparently it was insured as a personal vehicle with "business use" not a full commercial policy. I'm pretty upset about this whole thing. Not exactly what I was looking for right before having to pay taxes.

Last edited:

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
I'm also getting stuck with the towing and storage fees on the trailer.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, you need to push back and may need an attorney.

I've always been told, as long as a trailer is hitched to a tow vehicle, it's covered by the tow vehicle insurance. If it's sitting by itself and not hitched it needs its own policy to cover it.

Also, any accessories permanent to the vehicle should be covered also. I could maybe understand not covering a small carry toolbox or bag, but one bolted to the truck........

I will be watching and learning from this. I may have to reevaluate my coverage if I have been misinformed over the years.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to talk to an attorney. After it's all said and done, find a different insurance company.

Saying they wont cover the trailer.. hell, what happens if the trailer sideswipes a car while in tow... does that mean you have to pay out of pocket for the damage caused by the trailer? That's not how it works. Lol

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was rear ended the force bent my ladder rack but didn't do anything to my cross bed tool box. They still covered replacement for both since the truck was totaled. Of course I still had to get an attorney to get them to pay a fair price for my truck and cover my medical. The attorney was worth every penny. These insurance companies are getting really bad in jerking you, their customer around. You pay years of premiums to save you in a time like this and they fight tooth and nail to not hold up their end of the bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
Insurance laws and coverage vary by state, but the permanently attached items should definitely be covered. In Indiana, your trailer is covered by the towing vehicle. Other states may require separate policies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online