Wouldn't Start

WVAiredales

Reaction score
1992 F350 7.3IDI. Started this morning first thing, went to feul up, turned it off. went to leave and nothing, there was a clicking sound, sounded like it was center of motor up against the firewall. Tried to jump it, just because, it showed plenty of juice, but thought who knows. Nothing. Pecked on the starter a bit, nothing. About to give up and then she starts right up. Got to work, turn it off, fires right back up. when I turn the key to let the "Wait to Start" light go off, it still does the clicking. What am I dealing with here?

Thanks
Shawn

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Sounds like a glow plug relay may be tired or maybe one of ur glow plugs might not be on all the way. Check wiring to relay as well. Wen the relay i s tired or bad or not well connected it will do that clicking

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it clicking with the key in RUN, or in START? The GPs do continue to run (and IIRC, they may cycle) after the WTS light goes off.

Is it still cranking, or is that an issue again?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly as posted above, is it still cranking? I have heard several people say "nothing" just meaning it won't fire.

If you get ""nothing"" except a click, it "could" be as simple as the firewall mounted starter solenoid.

Is it a manual or automatic? My clutch safety switch has gotten worn and if I'm not pushing ALL the way down mine won't crank at all.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a manual or automatic? My clutch safety switch has gotten worn and if I'm not pushing ALL the way down mine won't crank at all.
I absolutly detest clutch start switches! For starters they cause wear on the thrust bearing and 2 they prevent you from getting a stalled truck out of an intetsection. Thats the 1st thing I bypass on my cars.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of people, here, that sell injectors and injection pumps. Conestoga Diesel, Typ4 and another person, whose name escapes me, sell much better injectors than eBay. AND they are part of this site. :)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yep. Justin at R&D idiperformace is the third one DaveBen was thinking of, except, he's not a member on here.

WVAiredales

Reaction score
It was clicking in run, it would not start. Then it did start, has started every time since then