Would you trust your engine on a HF stand?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only stand I have is a 1,000lb HF stand. The heads are off, and it is just the bottom end. I need to flip it, and have no other way.. What do you guys think?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My first thoughts are nope but.... If you are not going to add the heads then I feel you will be safe. Just expect the unexpected around this questionable engine stand.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it SHOULD hold it without the heads, but, it IS from HF.:rolleyes: It's either risk the stand dropping it, and being relatively safe, or tossing it on the lift, and crawling under it. :eek::eek:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
block w/o heads...no problem.
fully assembled motor....really really really bad idea.
even with the OTC monster I own, I get a fair amount of bounce in the stand.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes down to it, I would rather drop the block than die.;Sweet And I don't really have the cash for a huge stand, so... I guess I will try it. You guys made me feel more comfortable doing it.:D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I've got that same stand and wouldn't trust anything heavier than a bare bones 460.

Waaaaay too much forward lean and my scrawny ass couldn't rotate the motor if my life depended upon it.

Only reason I have it is because it was given to me, brand new never been used........................Still.:rolleyes:

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just set it on the stand... It seems to be holding it, without much sag. Trying to rotate it upside down was WAY too sketchy. I guess I will just have to use the stand as added " safety " and crawl under it.. with the hoist still attached as well. :rolleyes:

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I've got the same stand and it sags like hell with a 4 cyl c farmall tractor engine. Maybe I got a defective one :D

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I put a complete engine on the red HF 2k? stand and it took it well but still had a good amount of flex when the load was applied. When using HF load bearing stuff, I like to half their rated capacity for a little extra FOS.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-engine-stand-4420.html

i have that one, it held my assembeled 6.9 with MINIMAL tipping, it knew it was there but wasn't about to drop it. i had to ream the one mount to fit the 6.9 but it worked. if i was away, or over night i put a 4x4 block under the crank just incase. i had to grease the hell out of the shaft so i could rotate it, that was an effort but it'd turn!cookoo wish they put bearings in them! oh and keep an eye out for specials, i think i got mine for like $89!

-Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online