Worth the Risk Scenario

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so now that my fuel issues are resolved and the truck is humming along happily again, I've made a list of things I want to work on with it as time rolls along. Most are cosmetic and really not worth bringing up like putting in a second dome light for the back seat, replacing those cruddy yellow covers for the dome light with clear ones from ebay, fog lights, back speakers, etc.

One that is not, is two of my glow plugs don't work at all. The front two for cylinders 1 & 2. The other 6 all work fine when tested with a test light.

I'm uploading a video as we speak through crappy western pa live in the middle of nowhere internet as well showing that my relay does work. Here's how I tested things just for kicks in case any of it is wrong or if it isn't and someone finds it useful. After noticing my starts were fine when block heater was plugged in, even with my air into fuel system issues but when not plugged in it just seemed half assed, I bought a test light at walmart and hooked the clip to the positive terminal of the battery and touched the tip of each plug to see if the light came on or not. It worked with everything but my front two glow plugs.

Then, I read 30 different articles on how to wire up the relay manually all of which seemed to be slightly different, and though that was initially desired I decided to see if factory way was still working or not. Truck has a push button start from previous owner, so I was wondering if something could have been screwed up by him and I was just getting a phantom wait to start light or something.

I then took the old trusty ford screwdriver from crossing starter solenoids and crossed the two large terminals on the gpr and it of course sparked and I let it go for 12 ish seconds and went in and the truck started exactly like it always does when not plugged in, coughs a few times on first attempt, second attempt with it floored fires up after 4-5 seconds.

That got me thinking does this thing actually work and the two plugs not working just = useless, so I then (as you'll see in video) hooked up the test light into one of the glow plug wires and hooked the other end to the hood as a ground to see if the gpr is sending power to the plugs when the key is turned on. To my hunch, the test light was on and after about ten seconds you can hear the relay click off when the test light goes out.

Also, I had already started the truck or I would have taken a video of the smog cloud during startup, but imagine white during first cycle / crank with a mix of grey, and then second cycle / crank, grey into immediate black cloud as it starts and then 0 smoke because I think this truck forgets its a diesel entirely when running unless you are flooring it up a steep grade and passing someone.

What I'm wondering, is I have read all the nightmares from replacing glow plugs and having the tips fall in and bad things happening. Previous owner was also an idiot and never plugged in the truck, ever, and would give the truck a quick shot of ether (ugh) to get it to fire up when really he had air leaking into fuel system and it was just trying to get to its own fuel to start up normally. He claimed he didn't do it often, but I don't know what to believe there. Truck starts fine now even when cold and not plugged in if you let it cycle like three times, or if plugged in fires immediately. And I still haven't fixed the last known air into fuel system leak at the fuel filter (until tomorrow).

Also, ignore my makeshift injector line clamp. I have the actual 4 line clamp arriving today via ups, just figured something was better then nothing while starting and testing the truck after the broken line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8xqxwakM0k&feature=youtu.be

Bottom line, worth risking pulling the two plugs and replacing? Replace all 8 anyways? Ignore entirely? It's not my daily driver and I can plug it in everywhere but work, where I try not to drive it as downtown pittsburgh is not made for a quad cab long bed. I just don't feel like making a nightmare by trying to fix a small problem.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really comes down to willingness to KNOW they are good.

Often times folks replace 1 or 2 maybe a previous owner or two and you may have a mixed bag of tricks.

If you replace 8 you know 8 are good and have 6 spares JIC of failure or to help a friend.

Those two could be the malady that makes starting difficult.

Would you drain 5 quarts of oil and add 5 new or drain all the oil and change it all...yer choice....do it once do it right or do it quick n hope all the rest are ok.

First thing I do....replace 8 glow plugz put any push button nitemare back to dead stock..funny but it works and I like it that way!

JM7.3CW

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
What brand of glow plugs are they? If not Beru, I would replace all 8.

It appears that the GPR is working correctly. Check the feed wires to the GPR at the connector. I think it´s on the passenger side for your truck. It is not unusual for them to get corroded after years of service. Sometimes it gets so bad it melts the connector! You may want to by-pass the connector entirely. I soldered the yellow wires together by-passing the connector.

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Soldered_yellow_wires.jpg
    Soldered_yellow_wires.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 87

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
What brand of glow plugs are they? If not Beru, I would replace all 8.

It appears that the GPR is working correctly. Check the feed wires to the GPR at the connector. I think it´s on the passenger side for your truck. It is not unusual for them to get corroded after years of service. Sometimes it gets so bad it melts the connector! You may want to by-pass the connector entirely. I soldered the yellow wires together by-passing the connector.

attachment.php

How do you guys have such clean wiring? My truck is a rats nest. -cuss

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Riot pretty much summed it up.
For me the first thing I did was pull the GlowPlugs all Autolights I saved them but they will never go in my truck.
I just hate to throw parts away. now a lot like the berus and I'll be going with them once the wellmans that a member sent me free burn out!
So there's my thoughts.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace all 8 just so you know for sure what you have in there. Just cross your fingers and hope the tips stay on, if the PO used Autolites be sure to track him down and break his knees.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean I guess my only reservation from doing all 8 was the decreased chance to break a tip off just from not doing as many of them. If there was no chance of this happening I would have already just done all 8.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
How do you guys have such clean wiring? My truck is a rats nest. -cuss

This one had the 3G alternator upgrade. Note the 120 amp circuit breaker by the starter relay. Also the absence of the external voltage regulator and wiring. :)

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What make are your current glow plugs? If they aren't Champions, change them out, at the very least the two that don't work.

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online