Worn axle pivot bushings

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I just replace the passenger side I-beam and radius arm on my truck because the bushing had worn through and let the inner steel sleeve that the bolt goes through wear into the I-beam itself.
I knew that the bushings needed replaced but didn't know that one of them had gotten this bad. I had never done them before and was told it was a bear of a job so I put it off. Well not long ago I was changing my oil and while I was under there I was looking things over and noticed it was metal on metal.
Towcat informed me that it would need replaced. Fortunately I have two trucks for parts.
It was a PIA but it could have been worse.
Anyway I thought you guys might like to see what it looked like.
Sorry I didn't think to take pics of everything while i was changing it but I did get two of the I-beam afterward.

Attachments

• P01-08-12_22.33.jpg
    P01-08-12_22.33.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
  • P01-08-12_22.34.jpg
    P01-08-12_22.34.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 8

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I never saw mine but after 400,000 I'm sure they were due. I hope this and the steering rebuild helps tire ware.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Well the driver side was worn but not through like this one. I haven't rebuilt everything yet as i don't have the money, but as I can afford to I will replace things. I had already done the radius arm bushings before this.
It feels a lot better now though.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You got your money's worth outta those LOL
I'm using poly bushings next time. I replaced mine about 80k miles ago and they are already getting egg shaped -cuss

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen them this bad before. 2001, at the first second Ford-Diesel.com rally near Louisville KY. James (Highest Vision) had a basket case of a truck, and I crawled under there to check them, and they were basicaly gone. REALLY scary looking. LOL

You must be registered for see images

The Moose Truck needs them now. I just noticed they are starting to go, so time to get on it. After 29 years they don't owe me anything.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I have poly moog problem solver. :D They work great.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
You got your money's worth outta those LOL
I'm using poly bushings next time. I replaced mine about 80k miles ago and they are already getting egg shaped -cuss

I replaced them with Energy Suspension poly bushings. Same for the radius arm stuff. I will keep an eye on them as I don't want to have to replace the I-beam again!
Since I bought the truck with worn parts I don't have a comparison for good factory against the poly, but new poly over basically no bushings is so much nicer!
When I can replace the ball joints and the steering linkage then it should be good for a while. I hope anyway.
Btw, the ball joints and steering linkage are not as bad as these were!
There is some play in the steering but not excessive.