Worked The 7.3 A Little

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine had a couple of trees already cut down but were hanging off over a creek and needed to be pulled up on solid ground before cutting up.

First tree I pulled. It was hung up on the concrete slab and took quite a bit of effort to get up. The pieces to the left were what we had to cut off before I was able to get it moving. Was still probably 40-50ft long.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here you can see the second tree and the overhang.

Soft ground and a 7,5k lb truck made things a little difficult as you can see from the ruts.

What was in the bed the whole time I was pulling and my reward for my contribution.:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice looking truck working for a living like they should. Great looking wood too. Makes me feel al warm and fuzzy inside....:sly:D:angel:

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Im splitting it by hand with subpar tools as we speak at the house.

Looks to be a mix of Poplar and Gum. The Gum is a PITA.

Biggest pieces are only 14" though so not too bad.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive probly split hundreds of cords of wood by hand. I can actually do it faster by hand than with a splitter, my back just hurts a little more at the end of the day:rotflmao

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive probly split hundreds of cords of wood by hand. I can actually do it faster by hand than with a splitter, my back just hurts a little more at the end of the day:rotflmao

Oh I dont mind the work, although a wedge and a proper sledgehammer would be more sensible. I feel like a caveman out here with this 5lb hammer.

Ive been around deforestation :)D ) since probably 8 years old at least, from woods to stacked in the barn in a day. I dont care what you say, a good log splitter is really whats needed for this Gum. The Poplar is probably a little quicker by hand though.

The second tree I pulled out was Oak. He wanted to keep that for himself but now Im actually glad I didnt get any.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I dont mind the work, although a wedge and a proper sledgehammer would be more sensible. I feel like a caveman out here with this 5lb hammer.

Ive been around deforestation :)D ) since probably 8 years old at least, from woods to stacked in the barn in a day. I dont care what you say, a good log splitter is really whats needed for this Gum. The Poplar is probably a little quicker by hand though.

The second tree I pulled out was Oak. He wanted to keep that for himself but now Im actually glad I didnt get any.

Looks like you need a good splitting maul, I didnt see one in the pic. Any reason you dont have one?

I still have the one my grandfather used and made himself probly a hundred years ago. That thing has literally split THOUSANDS of cords of wood, and pounded many a wedge. I often wonder how many handles have been on that thing, I know I replaced it 3 times already since my father gave it to me 15 years ago. I never make a trip in the woods without it...

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you need a good splitting maul, I didnt see one in the pic. Any reason you dont have one?

I still have the one my grandfather used and made himself probly a hundred years ago. That thing has literally split THOUSANDS of cords of wood, and pounded many a wedge. I often wonder how many handles have been on that thing, I know I replaced it 3 times already since my father gave it to me 15 years ago. I never make a trip in the woods without it...

Yeah maul is what I meant by wedge. We have one but its MIA. Our proper sledgehammer has a broken handle. We have a new fiberglass one but havent made the switch yet. The handle was intended for another head. Probably just go buy another handle.

All finished...

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want that back yard!! Right now I can't even sneezed without bothering a neighbor!

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want that back yard!! Right now I can't even sneezed without bothering a neighbor!

The back yard is the smallest part...

The front...

:D

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Great post ;Sweet

Although its kinda frowned upon for home heating around here I'd love to get my wood burner up and going one day.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great post ;Sweet

Although its kinda frowned upon for home heating around here I'd love to get my wood burner up and going one day.

If you got a free place to cut wood, its foolish not to heat your home with it. If you have to buy it, then the cost savings arent worth the amount of work and hassle and danger of burning it.