Worked on my ZF 5 swap tonight

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
looks like the clutch master shouldve had a V-8LOL

here one of my best is peircing my ear with the corner of a wrench it hit me so hard. not a big scar story but it kept my friends laughing for weeks. man did that SOB hurt.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary, I hate to say it, but that angle on the master cylinder can only spell grief for you. Those clutch/slave assemblies are ***** to bleed as it is. Your master may not hold enough fluid with it angled that way. I don't know what the return policy is, but you might want to consider getting the right one before you fill it with fluid.

tractorman86

Reaction score
well the only visible scars i got from it is two little 1"long scrapes on the side of my forehead, you should have thumped him in the *******!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
After two trips to NAPA for the right master cylinder and the right transmission mount, I got neither. Every reference they had, showed the same master cylinder that I got. They didn't even list one that wasn't offset. They did show a mount for the ZF 5, but it was the same as the three I already had. I was smart enough to take the cross member with me. I decided that my best option was to modify the cross member, to accept the mount I already had. It took two minutes with the Dewalt grinder and it fit perfectly.

I used the driver's side gusset from the E4OD cross member, but the holes didn't line up. I'll have to drill new holes in it, since I don't have the proper gusset for the ZF 5 cross member.

Once I lowered the ZF onto the cross member, I noticed that the 4wd shifter was really close to the rear of the opening. I snapped a pic, to ask you all if this looks right. If not, I'll have to find the right one.

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is about where mine sits, it doesnt really move back much at all.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Not a whole lot of progress today.. I did find out that the drive shaft I bought for the rear, wasn't the right one. I must have mis-measured it. The one I need, is 28" from the center of the bearing caps, to the center of the carrier bearing. The one I got, was 29.5"

The front shaft that I got, was the right size. I put new u-joints in it and installed it in the truck. It wasn't until I tried to grease them, that I found out that I had put the rear slip-yolk joint in backwards. I went ahead and took the shaft back out of the truck and flipped the u-joint around. When I got it in, it was easy to grease!

I also drilled the left-side gusset plate, so I could put bolts in it.

I also checked the master cylinder and found out that it rotated into the proper position.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Had an awesome day today! Started off, by bleeding the master/slave cylinder. Having the bleed screw on the slave, made it so easy! With some help from my kids, we got it done in less than ten minutes.

Then I hooked up the neutral safety switch on the clutch:

I took the four allen-head bolts out of the shifting tower and put two gallons of ATF in through the hole. After that, I put the floor pan back in and put the carpet back down. I cut the hole for the shifter tower.

When I put the 4wd shifter in, it looked like it belonged there.. Even though it sits a lot higher than it used to. Once done in there, I went back under the truck and put a ziplock bag over the solenoid pack connector. I used zip ties to hold everything together and out of the way. It now sits happily over the transfer case. I also refilled the transfer case with ATF, since I lost a bunch of it during the swap.

Here's another pic, better showing the orientation of the wiring harness.

The next two pics show the shifters in place. I broke the 4wd boot, when I was trying to remove it. The screws were so packed with junk, that I couldn't get them out. I also didn't have everything I need, to mount the main shifter boot to the floor. It's just sitting there for now.

I put the lower trim piece back in under the steering column. I'll have to re-wire the brake controller, since I used the master cylinder cover plate to run the wires originally. Since I don't yet have the proper rear drive shaft, I just locked the hubs in and ran it in 4 hi. Having it this far completed, I just HAD to take it for a test drive!!! It shifts great and feel so sweet!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Something I forgot to mention in my previous post... This is the FIRST time my O/D light hasn't flashed, since I bought the truck last year!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
It's in there!

I took the too long piece of rear drive shaft back to the junk yard today and managed to find a piece that fit perfectly! I was told that it came from an 88 extended cab, and a C6! :dunno It was 28" exactly, from the center of the bearing cap, to the center of the carrier bearing. Or, 27" from the center of the bearing cap, to the lip of the flange.

I know it's going to need a carrier bearing, but the test drive was flawless!

Thanks to all of you, that helped me out with this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes