Worked on my ZF 5 swap tonight

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm...ic. so i'd need the SMF kit??

-Jon

Yup.

I think you are better off with a SMF anyway. Although who knows, maybe y you could have the T19 flywheel redrilled for the SMF style clutch. Probably not worth the trouble though.

Expect to pay about $500 for a complete SMF set. Most use Luk, but I used Valair in texas. Quality seems to be decent among all of them.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Yup.

I think you are better off with a SMF anyway. Although who knows, maybe y you could have the T19 flywheel redrilled for the SMF style clutch. Probably not worth the trouble though.

Expect to pay about $500 for a complete SMF set. Most use Luk, but I used Valair in texas. Quality seems to be decent among all of them.

think this is the dealbreaker between the ZF/T-19....think i'll look for a t-19! LOL;p

-Jon

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Since I had the wrong tranny mount and no way to mod the cross member here, I decided to get the right one from NAPA. Problem is, that they didn't have one in my local store. One will be here, in the morning. Without much more to do, I decided to mount the new master/slave cylinder combo. When I pulled it out of the box, I read the directions.. (Imagine that! cookoo) Turns out, that this slave cylinder has a bleeder screw! :thumbsup:

I did forget to take pics under the dash and will try to get them tomorrow. I mounted the master cylinder and found that the top stud wasn't fully through the hole in the firewall. It must have gotten hung-up, during the pedal assembly install. I put the nut on it and drew it down, until it pulled the stud through. Note: When you remove the firewall cover plate, KEEP the nuts! They will be needed, to hold the master cylinder on. Here's the master cylinder installed:

You must be registered for see images attach

See the grease rag, covering the intake? I actually remembered!

After that, I installed the hydraulic line to the master cylinder. It was a bit tricky, getting the fitting lined up with the port, since I ran a fuel line that turned out to be in the way. Wasn't too difficult to fix. Ford was even nice enough to put a retainer right where I needed it to be. This keeps the hydraulic line well away from the manifold. I then installed the slave cylinder. Wasn't easy to get the dowel pin into the little hole, that I could barely see! Make sure you don't drop the pins! They aren't easy to find!

One other thing... It helps to put a little brake fluid on the O-rings, before you push the lines in the master/slave cylinders.

I would have put the starter back in, but I still have the tranny/motor jacked up. I won't be able to let it down, until I get the cross member in. I managed to get the bottom cover plate from a ZF 5/460 combo and modified it to fit the 7.3. Basically, I just cut the whole top part off. I was touching up the paint on one of our locos, and used the DuPont Centauri to paint my "New" inspection cover.

It seems wierd, that they have 5/16 x 18 threads on the cover bolts.. I figured they would be metric.

Here's one last pic of my day's work. The heat shield installed for photo purposes. I still need to bleed the system.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I wasn't able to take any pics of the ZF 5 being installed, since I needed both hands to prevent a catastrophe. Since the tranny jack I tried to use didn't work, I used my floor jack to do the install. With a short piece of 2x4 on top of the jack and having it right where the tranny mount bolts up, I was able to perfectly line up the tranny and motor! I had a friend watching the input shaft and working the jack. It slid right in perfectly!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gary-
they sold you a master for an earlier truck.
It's supposed to sit straight up and down.
lookie.....

btw.....you're beginning to be more entertaining than my buddy Brian.;Sweet

Attachments

• SL374190.JPG
    SL374190.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 5
  • SL374191.JPG
    SL374191.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 2

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
that depends....
his best is dropping a starter on his face and breaking his nose.
what's your best yet?:D

So far, only me trying to get the tranny and transfer case up on the jack, while under the truck....

It was funny at the time...

I'll try not to be so entertaining..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got run over by a tractor what does that do for you calvin?
nothing if you don't post the scars:D;Sweet
years ago before the advent of my daughter, I was given the OK to get another bike. I really wanted another harley for cruising around.
that ended the day a "buddy" of mime came by the shop to show off his latest battle wound. the idiot goes for a ride over the hill(santa cruz) with no front brakes on his vintage BMW. he gets as far as the summit when traffic comes to abrupt halt. the bike stops against the tailgate of a small Ranger pickup. He doesn't. In fact, he goes through the back window and through the front windshield coming to rest on the ground in front of the pickup. What I forgot to mention was as he was vaulted over the handlebars of the bike, he managed to find the drivers side mirror with his left inner thigh and breaks off the mirror head to where only a sharp stub is left. The stub rips open his inner leg from the part of the thigh just right next to the ******* to the ankle exposing the joints and cartilage. He of course, had to show the wife the scars to get maximum gross out effect. She did indeed got grossed out and withdrew the OK for getting a bike as a result-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss
I kicked his ass after he healed for the stunt he pulled on the wife.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger