Work on my 93

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
Well guys, i think i am going to have to bite the bullet, my 93 is starting to puff out white smoke, fuel mileage has dropped and has a lifter tick on passenger side :mad: . So i guess in the immediate future i am going to have to tear the ole girl appart and replace lifters. i just had the ones on drivers side done about 6 months ago, and if money then allowed i would have had the other side done too, but oh well. i guess to save $$$ i am going to try to do the work myself, learn all i can about the 7.3, along with the help of a diesel mechanic friend. My ? is, is there anything else i should replace while i have this thing torn down? lifters, rocker arms, etc.... Where is a good place to buy parts at? How long can i drive it like this or should i even drive it at all? i guess while i have it out of commision it would be a good time to fix the leak in my oil cooler. Seems like its always something.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When you state "you had the drivers side done 6 months ago" does that mean a shop did the work for you? If so they cheated you unless you told them to only do that side lifters. Once the valley pan and intake manifold is off there is no reason other than money to only do half the job. Your looking at everything. Now you will need to buy another valley pan gasket because your going into the same area and we NEVER reuse the gasket.... Also the oil cooler will be tuff to remove. Plenty of repair posts about the oil cooler o-rings here.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
Antrim Diesel fixed the drivers side, it cost me $1400 the last time it was there, i had them fix the lifters, time it up, and change oil and fluids, i thought that was kinda pricy for one side... cant find the reciept on what they did.:mad: anyway thats why i would rather do the work myself, included are some pics of my truck and the white smoke that i just took in the parking lot. truck also has a miss to it ;Pissed :(

Attachments

• DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 12

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure its a lifter and not a bad injector tick? And this is just for lifters and timing that you had to pay $1400? Gotta do that work yourself...you'll definitely come out cheaper.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
I just had all new injectors put into it when it was in the shop last, that was a part of the $1400 i spent. but i will check them out, besides cracking the lines is there any other way to check them besides pulling them out and getting them pop tested?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
1400 holy crap :shake: i suppose that would be a little easier to swollow with all new injectors being installed but i agree replacing half the lifters while you are in there is....:rolleyes: ....

but to answer you yes cracking the lines and see if the "tick" goes away is the easiest thing to do before pulling them. anything more and they have to come out.

is everythign tight and leak free i have heard air leaking in the return lines can cause some of the problems you have.