Won't start...desperate

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Sorry for posting a new thread about the same thing, but i'm desperate.

I changed my fuel lines,
made pretty sure there were no leaks,
held in the schrader valve to bleed out the air then when fuel started coming out i let go,
cranked it a few more times...waiting between cranks,
still won't start...

I tried loosening each nut on the ends of the high pressure lines to bleed out the air, one by one while cranking and tightened when i saw fuel coming out. I figure i shouldn't have to loosen them much to get the air out right?

I then replaced the fuel filter and did the whole bleeding routine again.

Still can't get it to catch.

Is there anything else I can do? Please help.

~Jeff

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you change the parts to correct a no-start condition or would it not start after you changed the parts?

Plug in your block heater and put a battery charger on the batteries. And hold the throttle wide open when cranking.

If that doesn't work, disconnect the GP controller quick-connect, and give it a *little* (tiny) shot of starting fluid and see if it fires.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
it worked fine before i replaced the fuel lines...so after i replaced the lines, I can't get it to start.

I replaced the fuel filter to try and fix the no-start condition.

What is the GP controller?...sorry for my ignorance.

~Jeff

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yep crack them lines till they all have plenty of fuel coming out of em and retighten them.
I usually break em all loose and tighten the lines up one by one as they start dripping fuel. I know kinda messy but is a little easier on the batteries and the starter.
You may have enough air trapped in there yet giving you some fits.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Like already said, un-hook the glow-plugs at the relay, give her a shot of ether, and she will roar to life.

Best to have someone cranking, while you mist the ether in, preferably straight in the intake horn, not through the filter.

If she is gonna start, she will start on ether.

Many will get all :eek: dramatic :eek: at the mention of ether; but, I keep a can in all vehicles for just such an emergency.;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MNR is right a little shot of ether won't hurt it as long as the glow plugs are off and you use only a little. BUT it will only run as long as the ether lasts in the cylinders unless you can get those fuel lines bled out. I would take loose the line at the back of the injection pump and crank till there is fuel there, then crack the lines on the back of the pump and crank for a few seconds a couple times, then you need to take the high pressure lines loose at least 1/4 turn. Remember to leave your starter at least 1-2 minutes worth of cooling time after no more than 15-20 seconds of cranking. It also doesn't hurt to have a battery booster or charger connected to help the batteries keep up their amperage. It'll go...but until you get rid of all that air, it'll make a believer out of you that its DEAD. But it still lives...

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any time that you introduce air into the system (lines open, filter change) you need to start with the throttle wide open and then let off little by little as RPM's increase. Otherwise the air just locks things up tight and you end up chasing your tail bleeding things (as you found out).

Also you need to hold the throttle wide open when bleeding the lines. The more throttle, the more fuel the IP sends out with each stroke.

Also in a pinch propane can be used to run a diesel. I once ran (idled) a 3 cylinder Ford backhoe for about 15 minutes on one little propane torch bottle.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i 2nd the block heater on to get her warm and help her to spin easier. Then loosen all lines at the injectors 1/2 turn at a minimum. Crank until it looks like there is fuel everywhere. Tighten the lines, and crank it over at full throttle, letting out of it as you crank.
Hang in there. After the first time, you get the hang of it and realize that you have not killed anything.
Speed of the engine is also important, so get those batteries charged all of the way up.
Let us know how it goes!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
When You replaced the filter did You fill up the new one with diesel? If You have fuel coming out of the shrader valve then it should start just fine unless the glow plugs don't work at all but after all that cranking it could still start.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Alright!

Got it started with the ether. Disabled the glow plugs and sprayed some in.

Squealed and whined until all the air was bled out (i think that's what all that squealing is.)

once it was running for a while in the driveway i took it for a spin and got stuck after about 5-10 min on the road. Engine just died.

Was still close to home...got my other car...used it to keep the batteries alive while i kept cranking it. Finally it roared up again...

Died a few blocks later.

Gave up and had it towed home. Now i'm back to the drawing boards...
...what made it die? It reved right before "death." not sure what that means. Is it starved of fuel? Fuel supply pump?

The guy who towed me home (who was an ass) thinks it's the fuel supply pump.

~Jeff

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:confused: I can't understand the need for all this line bleeding business.

I ain't trying to come off like a smart a$$:angel: ; but, in all the years I have driven/worked on diesel engines, I have never had to resort to cracking lines and bleeding.

The Shraeder valve, on my old 6.9, was never messed with, ever.

When I changed filters, I poured the new full of Power Service, hit the key, and drove off, always.

Whenever it ran a tank out of fuel, I just cranked it about fifteen seconds, maybe twenty, and it always roared to life.

I ran the Cummins out of fuel, in an intersection--the Cummins isn't hardly so user-friendly when out of fuel--; I gave it a shot:shoot: of ether, cranked it over, she hit:backoff , and away we go.

When I say out of fuel, I mean ran a tank out of fuel; there are always two more tanks to call on.:thumbsup:

With so much fuel range, sometimes one forgets that it must be switched to another tank.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Maybe the lift pump on the right, lower, front of the block is bad. Could be running on what was in the filter and then ran out. When I change the filter I fill it up with PS and it will stumble a bit, maybe even die once or so but doesn't need any bleeding. Possible some debris is clogging somewhere?