wobbly fan

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replace the top rad hose today, I fire the old beast up,(first time in two months) and I notice the fan has some back and fourth movement. I shut things down, everything seems tight except the shaft coming from water pump. I am assuming I get to replace the water pump? I look at autozone, there are two types one warns of IP failure? I am assuming the Ip failure does not include the v bellt system on the 87.

I need to get the manual trans I want, then pull this motor and freshen things up while it out before it is transplanted in the chevy.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a clutch fan or water pump is in your near future. Either will probably take out your radiator.

Fix that asap

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IP failure you are refering to, is to do with putting the wrong bolts back into the water pump in the wrong places. I think the upper part of the water pump requires shorter bolts than the lower part.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replace the top rad hose today, I fire the old beast up,(first time in two months) and I notice the fan has some back and fourth movement. I shut things down, everything seems tight except the shaft coming from water pump. I am assuming I get to replace the water pump? I look at autozone, there are two types one warns of IP failure? I am assuming the Ip failure does not include the v bellt system on the 87.

I need to get the manual trans I want, then pull this motor and freshen things up while it out before it is transplanted in the chevy.

Go through this from START to FINISH! you will see info about the correct bolts etc....
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59057-Replacing-water-pump

Hope this helps you out and you can get this done ASAP prior to failure which could kill rad if it goes to far.

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The top and bottom two bolts that go thru the water pump enter the oily side of that front mounting plate that covers the timing gears. Make sure you place the bolts someplace special so you can test fit the new pump and bolts. Remove the old pump. Install the old bolts thru it and see how long they stick thru the pump.. Some watrpumps come with new bolts for the top area. Also apply some type of thread sealant or the oil will migrate out past the threads causing a horrible oily leaking mess.. Seen that a few times on other idi engines too..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online