WMO thinners

Boost_Happy

Reaction score
here is my idea i am going to try, 50/50 ATF and WMO at 15 gallons of each, then add 5 gallons of kero and 5 ounches of acetone.... heated, then centrifudged, then sediment filtered to 1 micron. see how it runs in my CRD cummins heated system

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm convinced kerosene is a formidable mixing product for making blended fuel. Search pics of the gunk I recently got out of my fuge on my last 55 gallon batch. I am making a new batch now, last speculations was the thick goo I got out was grease.
Well the oil I am cleaning now came from the same collection source, which is roughly a 1500 gallon collection site. This time I fuged 40 gallons for 4 passes hot, with nothing but oil. All I got out was some heavy grit. I then fuged 2 more passes cold, same thing.
Today I added 8 gallons of fresh kero. It's now ran 3 passes and voila, vie got that bearing grease crap going on again. When you run the grease thru your fingers you can feel grit on your fingers.
While I'm only 100 gallons into this new mix method for me, I think I'm onto something good.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I'm convinced kerosene is a formidable mixing product for making blended fuel. Search pics of the gunk I recently got out of my fuge on my last 55 gallon batch. I am making a new batch now, last speculations was the thick goo I got out was grease.
Well the oil I am cleaning now came from the same collection source, which is roughly a 1500 gallon collection site. This time I fuged 40 gallons for 4 passes hot, with nothing but oil. All I got out was some heavy grit. I then fuged 2 more passes cold, same thing.
Today I added 8 gallons of fresh kero. It's now ran 3 passes and voila, vie got that bearing grease crap going on again. When you run the grease thru your fingers you can feel grit on your fingers.
While I'm only 100 gallons into this new mix method for me, I think I'm onto something good.

heres the que tho,,is that grit in the wmo to begin with,,or is the kero mixed with it,,causing the grit?????

Boost_Happy

Reaction score

Yes I think we are! It made a big difference in how much centrifuge work especially when heated... keep is know and be a very good cleaner and when I bought 5 gallons from the petroleum place they asked me if I was gonna use it as parts cleaner...... I figured it would be a good thinner since its very similar to jet a and thinner then diesel. It just doesn't have the lubricants of diesel, but who cares.. were mixing with oil!!!!

And no im almost positive the keep is just helping settle the grit out not making it gritty

wmoguy

Reaction score
heres the que tho,,is that grit in the wmo to begin with,,or is the kero mixed with it,,causing the grit?????

I'd guess the kero helps grab the grit particles. Anyway you look at it it's positive progress. The fuel I'm burning is cleaner than it would have been without the kero.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a simple answer. It's a matter of the weight of the particles in thicker oil. The thick oil will hold them in suspension during the spin process. You can either thin the oil or slow the oil feed alot to try and get the particles out. In other words if you sprinkle sand and bread crumbs in oil and centrifuge the oil. Which particles would come out first?
Diesel, kero, paint thinners, and gasoline are all excellent oil thinners. There is another way to clean out oil a bit prior to filtration and/or centrifuge processing. Water washing. You pour some water in container with oil then shake it up really well. Allow enough time for water and heavy crap to settle then remove the oil. Anything that the water attaches to will settle with the water.

Boost_Happy

Reaction score
well im mixing up a WMO and WATF batch tonight and im gonna throw some kero in there and see what is does with this mix

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Any word on the k-1 to wmo mix? How is the consistency and how does it burn?

or if nothing else, whats a good starting point? I'm hoping for something sort of close to #2 for winter use....

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score

or if nothing else, whats a good starting point? I'm hoping for something sort of close to #2 for winter use....

wmoguy

Reaction score

not sure if u were asking me or someone else. my experience has been good thus far. I can't remember for certain, but I'd venture to say I've ran 200 gallons of the 80/20 mix. Hardly enough to call it a good test, but enough to determine it's a viable start. I have started on it cold (well summer cold morning anyway) without issue, although you do know it's not diesel, as it takes 2 cranks vs. one on my pickup and there is a slight haze until everything warms up.
If I do keep the IDI's, I think for winter Ill be running a much smaller blend of WMO

Boost_Happy

Reaction score
Seams like 10-15 gallons of K1 diesel or a mix of the with 40 gallons of WMO and ATF combo is damn near the same as diesel as far as viscosity when its around 100-120 degrees f*

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
not sure if u were asking me or someone else. my experience has been good thus far. I can't remember for certain, but I'd venture to say I've ran 200 gallons of the 80/20 mix. Hardly enough to call it a good test, but enough to determine it's a viable start. I have started on it cold (well summer cold morning anyway) without issue, although you do know it's not diesel, as it takes 2 cranks vs. one on my pickup and there is a slight haze until everything warms up.
If I do keep the IDI's, I think for winter Ill be running a much smaller blend of WMO

I was just asking whoever had tried it. :)

80% wmo to 20% k-1 sounds like a good start. You think that bumping the k-1 to 25% would flow it well enough for winter weather starting? Or should i add 5% rug?

I dont know what your winters are like, but the last couple years our are getting downright cold. Probably see temps down to 0°F to 10°F, though not frequently... Might look into an electric in line heater like was posted here a while back...

Seams like 10-15 gallons of K1 diesel or a mix of the with 40 gallons of WMO and ATF combo is damn near the same as diesel as far as viscosity when its around 100-120 degrees f*

Do you have a fuel heater in your truck? Or did you get the temp from a bench test?

Boost_Happy

Reaction score
Yes i have a heat exchanger in my truck, since my truck is a common rail i figured it be a must... but that test was in my processor unit, it has a water heater element that keeps the temp between 120-150 while i run the fudge

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Is if necessary to have an actual external drum heater or could i use another heater that puts the heating element in direct contact with the oil?

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I have yet to freeze them, but 18-20% kero seems to do the trick nice. However I just chucked a NAPA mechanical lift pump on my way to Boise. I have no idea if it was related to the kero or not, but the pump only had 7k on it.

PZ