WMO RIG PROBLEMS

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i recently purchased a diesel fuel pump from harbor freight to filter my wmo and it seems to not be able to go through the 2 micron filter, where the ps pump i was using would. it goes through the 14 micron filter just fine though. would it be ok to use a 5 micron instead of a 2? anyone know of a part number that would be 5 micron with a 1-14 thread?

thanks

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
You may try heating the filter. If you are only using filters, I would try to stick with the 2micron. Also, the ps pump is gear driven and the harbor freight pump is probably not which is why you are having issues with it. One other side note is to be careful you are not bypassing your filters by over pressuring.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump is AFTER the filters, so im told that is better in preventing bypassing the filters.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I've heated mine with a magnetic block heater or a water pipe heater. I vacuum my oil through the filters also, but I use a motor driven gear oil pump. It is SLOW! Cold oil and tight filters are tough and I don't think your new pump will do it. Maybe heat the oil supply before you filter it with a water tank heater or something. If you have steel piping and don't blend before you mix, you could also use a torch on the pipe (carefully).

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i should have also mentioned that straight diesel had a tough time going through the 2 micron filter

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your diesel pump might have a "built in" bypass valve.:dunno
For instance, if that pump would have a nozzle like a convenience store would use. When the tank fills up and the nozzle "clicks" off, the pump needs someway to recirculate the fuel so it doesn't build up too much pressure.
If you have a manual with it check that, or google that type of pump, ill bet you find something like that.
Most normal fuel filters, I think, are 10 mics, and maybe the filter is a little plugged, colder fluids etc, little too hard to push the "fuel" through.

Also it might have a internal screen, check that too.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that a self priming pump? If not, I don't see it being able to suck the oil through filters as its not designed to do it.

Can you post a link to the HF website for the pump you bought? That would help us figure out what the main issue is... hoping its not one of those little 12v pumps as they are nothing more then one of the "drill powered pumps" with an electric motor strapped to it.

-Chris

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesnt look like enough pump to me. a gear type like a oil pump for an engine would probably be your best bet. i pull through 1 large 10 mic filter then push through (3) 4 mic to my fuge. the filter on my truck is a 2 mic and i hardly ever change it.

but on a side note, Winber??? we are almost nieghbors!

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I see a LOT of people talk about sucking oil through a filter vs pushing through. Here's the difference............... NOTHING.............. Pulling oil with vacuum is doing absolutely nothing over pushing it through a filter. WHY?? Because using vacuum IS pushing oil through a filter, you are simply using atmospheric pressure to "push" it through a filter. Pressure difference? Using a complete vacuum you can achieve a negative pressure so to speak, of more or less 15 PSI. You can Push oil through a filter at 15 PSI and get the exact same results a lot easier. With that said, if you purchase a bulk fuel dispensing filter, or any fuel filter to speak of, there is little to no chance of bypassing the filter, because they do not have a bypass. Inside an engine, dirty oil is a million times better than NO oil, so manufacturers use bypass valves in oil filters in case of a filter blockage. Inside a fuel system, NO fuel is a million times better than dirty fuel, so fuel filters won't be found to speak, with a built in bypass. With that said you WILL find that with higher pressures you will get dirtier oil to some degree.

All filters have a nominal and an absolute rating. When higher pressures are used, you will blow particles through in the nominal range, and you will bust the filter casing if the media becomes blinded. The filters I use are 12 mic absolute, 10 mic nominal and bust pressure of 285PSI. My pump is very capable of busting them. On my current setup I have a bypass valve that dumps back into the tank at 90 PSI, thats what I use to run the fuges hence the 90 PSI setting. Once the filters have reached a lack of flow at 90 PSI I change them. Well, thats the plan anyhow, none of them have ever made it past 60PSI more or less. Since I added the second fuge that allowed more processing in the same amount of time I have not seen pressures higher than 40 psi to get a reasonable flow into my truck tank.

If you need a good pump, visit a vehicle salvage yard and purchase a power steering pump off of an older asian car or truck. almost all Nissans of even the early 2000's had v belt drive steering pumps with a remote reservoir.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on what Josh said about power steering pumps.
I'm using a Saginaw PS pump that I had on a Ford 351W engine, V-belt.
My pump is mounted on a old air horizontal air compressor tank, with a old electric motor, then plumbed in.
Not real professional looking but it gets the job done.
This is not mine but heres what they look like.
You must be registered for see images attach

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had been using a ps pump for about a year, it was kind of a PITA and i think it was going bad so i bought the harbor freight setup

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online