WMO in torpedo heater?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I would pose this question where the WMO guys hang out most. I have quite a bit of WMO sitting around. Anybody ever blend it and run it in like a torpedo heater? I'm sure it will burn but I don't know if it will cause a lot of soot/smell or screw the pump up.

Thanks!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As ornery as mine is on clear kero... My bet is it wont work long.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried WMO, WVO ***,WHO and everything else I could think of in my 76,000 btu torpedo from Tractor Supply. I got nothing to work consistently other than Kerosine, diesel, or real biodiesel. Everything else I tried (even very dilute mixture) would cause the my unit to shut down after about 5 minutes of operation.
I now heat my shop with WMO by mixing it with sawdust from the table saw and burning it in the woodstove.
Works great.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. I think I finally have my heater dialed in for #2. The only things I've ever run in it are Kero, on-road and off-road diesel. I had a couple gallons of sour 50:1 RUG that I needed rid of and I mixed it in a little at a time. It didn't seem to hurt it but you could smell the 2 stroke oil.

With diesel now after tweaking the pump it seems to like it just fine and I really don't get any noticeable smell. Wife doesn't complain when I come in anymore anyway. If I could just figure out how to deal with the noise...

Just thought I would ask.

I too am curious about using the WMO to make fire logs. I assume you are mixing it up heavy on the saw dust and just using the oil as a binder? Do you get a lot of black nasty smoke from that? If I'm being lazy I'll toss a water bottle full of WMO in to get the fire started and it smokes like crazy till it's burnt off. I don't make enough saw dust in a years time for that type of thing right now but it's an interesting thought. If I ever get my algae bioreactor together I'll have lots of cellulose to make logs out of. :rolleyes:

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a wood shop I spend a lot of time in. I usually have WMO in a bucket and shovel the sawdust on top. It sinks as it soaks in and you can pack the pail and the oil generally will move up with capillary action through the whole pile. Then once I have a fire going, I just shovel out of the bucket onto the fire. A shovelful will make a helluva fire and will burn for quite a while. It smokes bad if you shovel in the really wet gooey stuff from the bottom, but as long as you are simply throwing in pretty dry oil saturated sawdust into a hot stove it doesn't seem to smoke too badly.
Best is to have it soaking a week or so, stirring a couple times to soak up all the stuff on bottom.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I haven't tried a WMO blend in mine, mine says #1 and lighter fuel, and it won't fire on #2 (tried), and as far as oil burning furnaces are concerned, wmo is considered #2 fuel oil, so too dense for mine

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online