wmo in a 2007 5.9

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i see that wmo works in the 2003 5.9 common rail models but will it be the same for my 2007 5.9

im not completly sure what i got when it comes to differences between the two
supposedly i have a EGR--will this be effected by wmo??

are their any other differences i should know about?

if i had an 06' it would already be burnin wmo but the hazy info i get regarding my 07' engine is worrysome--i understand that my engine was the 5.9 made during the year the emmissions people started cracking down on diesels

has anyone ran wmo with the new emmissions stuff with a egr in a psd,
duramax or new cummins??
thanx

MikeyB

Reaction score
The 5.9 doesn't have an EGR. The common rail 5.9 head design and injector programming acts like an EGR, hence the higher EGTs. The only issue is with the cat, and how long will it last. Now the 6.7L has all the emissions stuff, EGR, DPF, cat, etc....

You should be fine running WMO if properly filtered. I'm filtering down to 0.5 microns and only running around 20-25% max. The engine does run smoother, quieter and has more power. Also adding Power Service Diesel Klean to keep the injector tips clean.

MikeyB

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would aslo be worried about the cat, dont have much info but would like to hear the results of running WMO in a newer rig for referance. other people with newer trucks have been asking me and i cant in good conscience tell them it will be fine when i really dont know.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truck is about to get a turbo back exhaust so that should help with the cat problem. other then that, i think im gonna start tryin it out as soon as i get my filtering sistem set back up--i tore it all down after sellin the 6.5 and movin to TN.

Desert Dually

cane corso
Reaction score
I've ran it in my '07 Dodge with no issues, but only about 4½ gallons per tank.I filtered it down to 1 micron with multiple passes thru the filter system i set up. I slowed down and have nearly stopped doing it when I saw all the sub-micron crap that people were pulling out of their oil with centrifuges. The 2006 and 2007 trucks with the last of the 5.9's have very VERY expensive injection systems and i want to be able to confidantly pour WMO in the truck without worrying what it is doing to my CP3. Currently, I am leaning towards a centrifuge filtering set-up, and am accumulating enough WMO to make it worth it.

I really slowed down on how much I drive my truck too, which has lessened my fuel costs as well. When fuel prices started going through the roof, i started riding my motorcycle a LOT more LOL

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i too have stoped burning wmo--right now im tryin to build a house and i dont have the place or the time to set up my filter but im also leaning towards a centrifuge. but all of this is gonna have to wait till i get my house built...

gdh11

Reaction score
I have an early 04 without a cat and plan on setting up a pump/filter/waterseperator to make multiple passes on the WMO mix before it is put into the truck. Once it is put in the truck it will be passed through a FASS with a 1 micron filter.

I thought that anything below 5 micron was safe for an engine? If below 5 micron is safe then how would sub micron particles do any damage?

I am hoping to run about 50% WMO/#2 w/power kleen. If the stock fuel filter is 5-7 micron, from what I understand, then how can I go wrong making multiple passes on a 5 micron filter and water seperator then through another water seperator and a 1 micron filter before going into the engine?

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gdh11- honestly, no one knows how tolerant the cr engines are with the smaller particles in wmo-5 microns is fine for our engines but a whole bunch of 1 micron stuff has me worried-if it was any other engine i woudnt hesitate but after seeing how expensive injectors are for our trucks im not gonna run it untill i can get the oil really clean.

KFinn

Reaction score
reviving a zombie thread.... yes I know....

Anyway, Wanted to see in the last 3 or 4 years what all of you have learned on the topic. I have a 2000 ford 7.3L that I use WMO and am about to trade it for an 05 - 07.5 Dodge 5.9 and want to continue to use WMO if I can.

Please let me know or post up links to non zombie threads. I've been searching for a couple hours on this forum now and am starting to hit a brick wall.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin
The point they were making about "would be" particle size I think comes down to it does cause wear a little quicker than normal diesel fuel.

Filtering is even more critical with the newer engine for many reasons and centrifuges do a very good job.
Also, how much money a person saves running wmo, and how often you need to replace the fuel system stuff.(or willing to replace things) And how much time a person is willing to put into collection, filtering, so on and so forth.
Wmoguy had a really good thread about yearly costs on fuel and replacing engine parts.;Sweet (you've already seen it I'm sure)
Now that I've talked in a circlecookoo, it kinda up to each person, trade offs

wmoguy

Reaction score
Kevin
The point they were making about "would be" particle size I think comes down to it does cause wear a little quicker than normal diesel fuel.

Filtering is even more critical with the newer engine for many reasons and centrifuges do a very good job.
Also, how much money a person saves running wmo, and how often you need to replace the fuel system stuff.(or willing to replace things) And how much time a person is willing to put into collection, filtering, so on and so forth.
Wmoguy had a really good thread about yearly costs on fuel and replacing engine parts.;Sweet (you've already seen it I'm sure)
Now that I've talked in a circlecookoo, it kinda up to each person, trade offs

Brad is right, it's all about filtering... "IN THEORY" any diesel should be able to run our black fuel unless it's got some sort of optical eye (like the old 6.5 GMs do) which poo-poos colored fuel. That said, I don't think I have the cajones to try it in a new new diesel that has all the DPF, Urea, emissions crap on it. (thats just me though)

BTW Kfinn, you are only about an hour south of me. If you want to try some finely filtered/centrifuged WMO in your 5.9 just hit me up and I'll toss you a few gallons. I filter down to roughly .5 microns.

KFinn

Reaction score
Ok. thanks for the info. I only googled and found one site and centerfuge, so my question is, is there a good quality, affordable, and sized accordingly to be using for WMO?

I have been filtering my WMO for my Ford for a couple years now but in anticipation for the 5.9 whenever it is I find and buy, I'd like to be ready with knowledge and/or the setup to hit the ground running. I've already got 2 full drums of oil waiting.

Lastly the other question I had is in theory and in relation to the 5.9. Curious if there are any restrictions on type of oil in theory for one and then specific to the 5.9 because up to this point I have been accepting friends, Motor, Trans, Gear, Fork oil and Conventional and synthetic for any of the former. Do i need to refine my acceptance list for my friends?

KFinn

Reaction score
BTW Kfinn, you are only about an hour south of me. If you want to try some finely filtered/centrifuged WMO in your 5.9 just hit me up and I'll toss you a few gallons. I filter down to roughly .5 microns.

And yes, I am up north on occasion so I very well might take you up on that. Mainly maybe to just check out your system and process.

Armo

Reaction score
I know there is a major difference in a newer diesel but in my older 12v ive ran several different types of oil. Hydraulic fluid, motor oil new and used(people been giving me oil that no longer has the lable), gear lubes, atf, and powersteering fluid. Ive at one point had motor oil atf and powersteering fluid in all at the same time. Highly diluted but ran it through non the less was like 2 gallons total to a 35 gallon tank.
In my vehicle it didnt seem to matter if it was dino or synthetic. I think the main issue is keep it clean with good filtering and no solvents and watch how your vehicle reacts to it. Power steering fluid id watch out for though since some people put additives that can soften rubber or swell it. I cant imagine thats to nice on the IP and lift pump.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have run all of the above in my IDI without a problem except the gear oil. i once got a batch that added about a 1 to 2 gallons of gear oil into a 5 gallon batch i dumped into my fuel tank to top it off. i was thinking i would be running about a 65%diesel 35% WMO mix. it stopped my truck cold and i had to drain the fuel system and add kero to clean it out.

gear oil can be run but the thinning is so much more work i dont want to bother with it.

pabiodiesel is the best site i have found for centerfuge pricing and they have been good to work with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online