WMO in 7.3 PSD chime in

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you say air - do you mean the type of pump that uses air pressure to move the fluid through a diaphram pump --- or the type that uses air pressure to pressurize the entire container to push the fluid.

I have the later - and - it's cheap - but it has a tendency to "expand" a 55 gallon drum like a balloon if you are not careful - you have to constantly monitor the air pressure / fluid flow and it's not the quickest thing - takes several minutes to push 5-6 gallons through a racor marine water separator / filter (not sure of the micron rating on it yet)

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i pressurize the cylinder but my cylinder is an old well expansion tank so it is not a problem. i usually run around 20-30psi and it fills a 5 gallon container in a minute or two.

Reece

Reaction score
I have a 2002 7.3 and have run around 1000 miles on 50/50 wmo. I am happy so far. My challange comes with filtering. My filter set up is giving me trouble. I am pumping mixed fuel thru a 12 micron water seperator with a second 2 micron filter. I am repeating this and filtering twice before going into my truck. (why am I filtering twice? - just to be safe I guess). The filters are not lasting as long as expected. I am only getting around 100 gal per 2micron filter. Is this normal? I am using wix filters

BED BOLTS

Reaction score
reece, I have ran about 200gal and is fine a little slow but still works! I run through a 10 micron water sep. and a 3 micron. I have a 2000 ford 7.3 and run about the same 50/50 wmo and it somkes pretty good in town and on the hwy, runs great but man do i get looks! Not good ones. Does your smoke? I even tried new oil with atf and it smoke just as bad!

Reece

Reaction score
Bed Bolts - Yes mine smokes. Both in town and on the road. I'm new to this and I am not sure how to combat that. I think I've read somewhere on this site where you can heat the oil and that is what I am looking to try eventually. I am not sure what type of set up is needed (meaning heated tank and/or pre packaged kit). Anyone having success running on a mixture greater than 50/50? What type of second tank was added and whose kit works best for the application?

BED BOLTS

Reaction score
Reece- so you think if we heat it, it will help the smoke! Well i hope some other people will jump in and give us some input on this, i might be shot by someone parked next to me at a light. I wonder if they make a good filter with a heater in it? talk later!

subway

Reaction score
heating the oil helps greatly in my rig, i run a plate heat exchanger before it hits my filter assy. i wait until my engine warms up some and switch over to 100 WMO. with the heat exchanger warmed up i only smoke about the same as straight diesel.

if i switch before it warms up (done a couple of times by accident) it smokes like i have a smoke bomb in my tail pipe.:eek:

as far as i know the powerstrokes run the fuel through part of the head to preheat it but it sounds like you guys need more. i would also be leary about it smoking to much because that is unburnt fuel that can build up carbon in your injectors and cylinders over time.

tweener

Reaction score
I am not a diesel expert, so tell me, how bad is the carbon for the injectors and such.....does water clean it out?

i know a fine mist of water in the intake of a gas engine cleans the cylinders and such better than any fuel injector cleaner, and it is free.......Can you do this from time to time on a diesel....i see no reason why not.....steam cleans your internals........

I am going to try it latter, and have a friend run it at high idle while I mist the turbo for about 5 minutes, and see if it smokes good (cleans it out)

subway

Reaction score
i am no expert either but carbon build up is not good and can make the engine run like crap from clogged/blocked injectors. i believe water injection is the way to go for that and is what i plan to do once i get my fueling issues worked out.

set up the water system to come on under hard acceloration and it should help power and clean anything right out on a regular basis. sasyrel is the guy here who has been running WMO the longest i know of here and that is what he reccommends to.

BED BOLTS

Reaction score
What is a plate heat exchanger ? and can i use a raco heated filter system! Do you thinks that will work for are smoke problems!