With A Heavy Heart...Its Time to Let Go

FordGuy100

Reaction score
With a title like that you know exactly what I mean. I have thought about this long and hard, and have come to the conclusion that its time to let the truck go. I dont use it, and have no use for it. The more it has sat, the worse its condition has gotten. I'm a firm believer that something needs to be used, otherwise it falls apart. In the last 3 years it has driven 3000 miles, 2500 miles being the drive back to Oregon. My wife is the one telling me I should actually keep it, I just dont see the purpose anymore.

So...

The truck was purchased new by my grandfather back in 1985. It was his first new truck he ever purchased I guess. This has made my decision hard, as I see it as something that I could remember him by (he is still alive and kicking!), so there is definatly a sentimental value to it. The day I turned 15 he gave it to me, for helping him out on his farm.

I had the truck painted by a local place. This is now over 8 years old and is showing its age. I put on new Eagle Alloy Series 186 wheels (16x8") with 285 BFG's, which have been replaced by Kelly Safari TSR's (285 75 16 E). The day before I got the tires (ordered online) my then fiance, got in a fender bender. The bed is messed up, despite bodywork being done. The tailgate is also messed up slightly. I will not let this truck go in this condition. It will get one of three options. 1 a new sourced bed painted to match. 2 a bedside welded on and painted to match, or 3 a flatbed. I'm actually leaning towards a nice SRW flatbed, but thats just me.

The truck was given to me with 113K miles on it. I am the second owner obviously. I put a ATS wastegated turbo on it, along with a 4" straight pipe exhaust. It has ISSPRO gauges, Boost, Pyro, Tach, Water Temp and an oil temp. The oil temp gauge does not work as the sender got messed up and ISSPRO no longer supports these gauges apparently. Never the less, its there. The highest MPG I have ever seen was 19.7 when it was N/A and I drove no more than 60mph. At 75mph it gets 14-15mpg. Usually it returns an honest 16mpg.

It starts almost instantly. Honestly its the fastest starting IDI I have ever been around. The glow plugs are on a switch. I will replace ignition switch so that the starter will engage with a key instead of a switch (as it is now). The interior is in ok shape. My grandfather had the seat reupholstered before it was given to me. The door panels have LMC replacements which are ok, but the fit is meh. I went and took all of the trim pieces behind the seat and painted them while I re-did the headliner, so the paint color is off (this will be addressed). The gauges are mounted on the dash, except for the tach which is on the A pillar. The gauge pods are universal and dont fit well but serve their purpose. The dash is stock and is cracked were the center speaker would be. The stereo is stock, think of all of the joy you will have dialing in the stations! The speakers were replaced with some 6x9"s, but the stock head unit is holding them back. The windshield is leaking, but this will be addressed. Most of the gauges work. The speedo bounces, I will try to lubricate the cable. It is smooth by 45mph. The stock water temp and anmeter gauges suck, but I have the ISSPRO replacement (I also have a ISSPRO volt and oil pressure gauge that can go with it). Fuel senders have a dead spot around half tank where they will read empty till 1/4 tank, then read correctly (so 1/4-1/2 tank registers empty). Back up lights dont work as I believe I never hooked the wire back up. The 4spd shift knob falls off, last time I threw what I had (some RTV) in it and its holding. My grandfather always held the shift stalk itself, so there is a rust spot where he wore the paint off from his hand. It has a rubber floor on it, but I believe it was put in over top of carpet, but not sure.

I have replaced the master cylinder, and vacuum pump. The truck stops as well as any Ford vacuum truck should. The wastegate is unplugged now but will be hooked back up. The alternator is stock but does its job. It has a new heater core. It has a new motorcraft water pump. I stripped the top two bolts out of the water pump, so I tapped for slightly larger metric and installed bolts. The AC does not work as I was stupid enough to go through everything and install a rebuilt AC pump. DONT EVER DO THAT. It lasted less than a few hours. What a complete waste. This will be addressed as well. It leaks oil, its an IDI. It burnt roughly 1 qt of oil per 1500 miles on the trip here from Oregon to Texas towing 7000 lbs, I would call that good. Blow by is great, gone completly by 900 rpms. The pump is maxed out, but towing I even had a hard time to get EGT's high unless I was below 2000 rpms and WOT. It will have a 7.3 style filter on it, to double as a fuel water seperator. Injectors are BB code from OFI with around 30K on them. Turbo was rebuilt 30K ago with a brand new center section. It has Beru glow plugs that are roughly 20K miles old. It has an aluminum champion radiator, which cools great, filled with fleetgaurd. Hood insulation fell off, so you can see the stock tan underneath the hood. It has a Napa gear reduction starter. Two vatozone group 65 batteries.

It has a T19 trans, which is bullet proof. It has a 12" Luk clutch. It has 3.54 gears front and back, both open. Front is a Dana 44HD. It has LMC front chrome pieces.

I dont know what else to add, but I will as I remember.

Just to clarify, this a presale to drum up support. I will not sell it until whats listed above is addressed. And, I think I'll give my grandfather dibs first (after it goes back N/A, he likes things stock.

Everything fixed, cleaned, etc. I'm thinking $4-5000.

How it started life
You must be registered for see images attach

suv7734

Reaction score
Justin,

It sounds like you have a tough decision to make.

I still remember when you were posting about the color change... which was a while ago. :D

I will say...

Listen to your wife.

... is NOT something you're going to hear around here very often. :eek: LOL

Good luck in whatever you decide.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful truck. I'd hate to let it go if I didn't have to. Tough call. My vote is fix it and take it for ice cream on Saturday night couple times a month. The beauty of diesel is it can set a long time if done right.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife is the one telling me I should actually keep it
your wife is a "keeper" in my book.
i had a helluva time trying to sell mime out in TX, it got to the point I just gave it to Fordsnguns/Marvin to drive rather than let it rot.
That being said, build a carport for it so it can get out of the weather and keep the sun off of it.
Once you sell it, you will never find another that has the memories to go with it.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
IIRC you also installed head studs at some point, didn't you?

Didn't see that in the ad.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin,

Super has just found out I'm willing to give up Bronco and scrap it, she says NO finish it! If you loved it as much as you say you wouldn't scrap it. DOH...sounds to me like your wife and my wife are keepers as are our trucks.

KEEP the truck mang....don't be selling it. Clean it up fix it fog it get a quality breathing cover for it and block it up at the frame let axles droop and then store it for a while.

Don't sell it, listen to your wife as I'm having a hard time doing with mine as well.

Here is hoping you keep it:backoff:cheers:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you flat-out don't have the space to store it, let me join the chorus telling you to keep it. You've put so much blood, sweat, and tears into that truck over the years, plus the memories with your grandfather...no matter what happens, you'll never find that again. I understand that sometimes you just plain need to let go, and I know how painful that can be...but, again, unless you simply have nowhere else to put it, I strongly advocate holding onto it. If nothing else, maybe put the truck in long-term storage for when your kid is ready to drive, and then you'll have a project with him/her ;Sweet

OldDieselDave

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just the new guy here, but I will put in my two cents worth anyway.
1) listen to your wife ( I'll deny I ever said that in public) and keep the truck. I've sold ones I never should have, from the discription, your's is "That One"
2) Unless you just want the flatbed, keep the original and don't sweat the "memory dents" unlesss they are uncomfortable ones
3) check the floorboards ( ruber mats over carpet equalls rusty floors - even in Arizona
4) get classic car insurance and follow every one elses advice- Ice Cream and / or a movie twice a month.

If you send it on, you will wish you hadn't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online