Winter tyres

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running remolded tires is like running recapped tires. You won't find either on my vehicle. A remold is an old tire encased with new rubber. Also for my size they want $124.95 :eek:

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running remolded tires is like running recapped tires. You won't find either on my vehicle. A remold is an old tire encased with new rubber. Also for my size they want $124.95 :eek:

I'd have to disagree. Remolded tires use the same process as many tire manufacturers do, just the first steps are already done because the start with a good carcass. Recaps are just that, capped tires or retread; not fully remolded. That's why D.O.T. doesn't allow you to use recaps on the steering axle do to the nature of just the tread coming off.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've heard a few folks who like them, and a lot who have complained about receiving a set of four tires capped on 4 different make casings with some rather hefty differences in dimensions and case stiffness, making for all kinds of handling problems. Combine that will all the years I spent in a semi, and all the damage I've seen and had caps do, No thanks.

If you really want some winter tires try a set of these on for size . we run the car version of those on our rear wheel drive Volvos and never have any trouble getting around in ice storms ( except for having to slow down and wait on all the 4x4s to spin out and go in the ditch so we, get back up to speed :D

-----Robert

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Most of the big tire companies make a Blizzak type, dual compound tire. They are the only way to go, if your serious about winter traction.

How much for the Nokian?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree. Remolded tires use the same process as many tire manufacturers do, just the first steps are already done because the start with a good carcass. Recaps are just that, capped tires or retread; not fully remolded. That's why D.O.T. doesn't allow you to use recaps on the steering axle do to the nature of just the tread coming off.

I have to disagree with your disagree. I used to work at a tire shop part time in addition to my full time job. We had new tires as well as remolds that were remolded from bead to bead. Every one of the remolds that we sold would come back a few weeks later because of problems. Needless to say they don't sell them anymore.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of remolds/retreads or whatever you want to call them. Reality is, I don't think there is a good way to get uncured rubber to stick to cured rubber no matter how much it covers.

2manydsls

Reaction score
I recently have had problems throwing treads off of regular tires. I maintain the pressures according to the loads I carry. The problem probably stems from the low mileage per year I put on the tires.
With the damage I've sustained from separations, I wouldn't risk using recaps or remolds as they are definately older carcasses.
Last tread came off of 1990 F-250 and: Ripped off fender support bracket and bent bottom 6 inches of rear fender up all the way to bumper, bent the inside of the bed up 4 inches, flattened exhaust pipe ripping off extension, bent front fender brace and fender. Something to think about
Ross

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ultimately, I run Pro Comp xTerrains siped like crazy. They stick really well in the hard pack and on ice here so I have no worries.

As the Bronco has such a shot wheel base, it passes itself quickly if I gun it in two wheel drive though in four wheel it stays straight and true.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7