WILL I TOW IT ????

jsnap

Dunce
Reaction score
I have a 92 350 4x4 centurion conversion dually banks sidewinder, pump is up, making 12lbs of boost, e40d shifts nice and firm ,4.10 in the back 67000 original miles. NOW FELLAS before i buy this 40' fifth wheel about 12000 pounds i need to know am i going to have any problems pulling this big boy and i dont want to win any pulling compitions i just want to get it from a to b 55 60 hwy max .I just dont want to buy this thing and not be able tow pull it you guys know give it to me straight

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO that truck won't even be breathing hard with a turbo and 4.10 gears. Your biggest problem will be negotiating a 40' trailer through NYC

I'd definatly recommend a tranny temp gauge and pyrometer if you don't have them already.

jsnap

Dunce
Reaction score
Pyro yes tranny temp no but a big tranny cooler And the trailer is being bought in NC and staying There so you think im ok .

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine. What part of NC you keeping it.

My '90 dually (Non Turbo) used to have 4.10 gears and I swapped them out for 3.08 as a fuel mileage experiment as most of my driving is flat land on country roads. Don't drive it much anymore but I still haul fire wood with it and pile up my 16' x 6' flatbed about 4 feet deep with Oak and then fill the bed too and have no problems getting her up to highway speeds and maintaining them on the 60 mile drive from Raleigh to Autryville.

Lot's of others here too that have nice RVs they pull with their IDI trucks will probably pop in to give you their opinions.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
My Dad pulled a 42 Ft 5er with a 92 non turbo. Didn't win any up hill races, but it did the job.

jsnap

Dunce
Reaction score
i am picking this trailer up in Biscoe NC then its of to Lenoir NC where it will stay till i decide to use it for vacation and stuff. Actually going to leave it all set up in Lenoir my girl freinds from Boone NC she lives with me in NYC now but her mother is in Lenoir so when we goes visit i guess ill stay in the fifth wheel it does have everything washer dryer its loaded .

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I pulled a 34' gooseneck with a similar weight and it would go OK.

I'd consider turning the pump back down so you can't damage anything when not paying attention, but that's about it.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
As stated you won't win any races but it will pull - on the uphills you will lose speed but shouldn't drop below 50 on the big grades, it will do 60 on the flats without too much struggle. We pulled a 31ft TT (is was as tall as a 5er) and when hitched to the Enterprise it would slow on the grades but it did it. I would run about 60-65 on the highway and could if I wanted to run 70 on the flats without overdoing the pyro. Much more than that and it was tough on her but I could set the cruise at 60-65 and not worry too much. A trans temp gauge is a must in my book and EXTRA COOLER, don't rely on the factory cooler in the bottom of the rad to do it all it will need some help. Just plumb in an extra in front of the rad/condensor combo that is plumbed in AFTER the factory one in the rad.

The return line back to the trans is the REAR line on the trans, that is the line you want. With two coolers you won't have a problem unless you are doing a lot of backing with the trailer then just keep an eye on it and if it starts to raise just take it easy. Don't shut down the truck if it gets too warm just let her idle and she will bring down the trans temps.

Typcially you don't want your temps on your trans to get above 210 degrees for any extended lenght of time. Below that you'll be fine. I would see mine climb up in the city stop and go but then would drop right back down once I got her TC locked up.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will do it, just remember you will be passed by all the new guys pulling the same TT at mach1, and not ever looking back!

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I gross 15,000 all the time with my motorhome towing a Samurai and have plenty of power. I do have a Zigg based propane injection system that helps on the hard pulls but you will be just fine.

Jim

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing to remember with towing with an old IDI is "Better Late than Never!" The group I go wheeling with always beats me to camp, but I've never not made it. Plan ahead, and take it easy. Enjoy the road and the time with the old truck, and don't get caught up in the "truck envy".

Ryan