will B5 biofuel affect timing?

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've recently been putting some B5 in the truck. I notice a smoother idle(lubricity probably) but also notice that under hard acceleration, instead of black smoke coming out the tailpipe, it's more of a white smoke.

I read on some other posts that white smoke can be caused by a few things and one of them is timing related. I'm pretty sure if I run the tanks down, put regular diesel in there and hit the throttle, I'm going to see black smoke again. Curious what others have experienced. I wouldn't think 5% biofuel would affect the burn rate/timing that much but could be wrong.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am working on figuring that out exactly if i can get ahold of a lumy probe sooner rather than later, but yes i think it might. I would think it would advance your timing slightly. The 5% biodiesel might well be acting as an accelerant for the dinodiesel.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe 5% bio could make a measurable timing change (prove me wrong!).
The smoke, color and smell, is chemistry of the combustion. A small % of bio will change that drastically, as I have observed in 3 different engines.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, after running #2 for a few days, I'm still getting white or grey smoke. Next step is to change the fuel filter. Will see if that makes a difference.

TDW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll theoretically have less unburned hydrocarbons in your exhaust, so less black carbon color, but still a generous amounts of NOx and particulates that will produce a lighter colored smoke.