Why is my timing so retarded?

clthorn

Reaction score
I've been contemplating adjusting my fuel and timing for better fuel milage right now im seeing 16mpg if I drive 55mph. When I checked out where it was set I almost fell out. There almost a 1/4 in retarded. Is it even possible for the truck to run like this or is the gear off a tooth and being compensated for by rotating the pump?

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20161004_195515.jpg
    20161004_195515.jpg
    734.4 KB · Views: 95

clthorn

Reaction score
I wish I could find a thread with part numbers for all the tools I need and a good write up on how to use them

clthorn

Reaction score
Can somebody help me out I've searched for 4 hours and I can't find anything worth reading. Every post I see just says I need the tools or not to pull the pump cover, I get it!!! I need part numbers and a procedure with pictures for a dummy

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can somebody help me out I've searched for 4 hours and I can't find anything worth reading. Every post I see just says I need the tools or not to pull the pump cover, I get it!!! I need part numbers and a procedure with pictures for a dummy

remember to not pull the IP gear housing off

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok...here is how I will help

Go to ADVANCED SEARCH

type tech 101 in search field....choose title not threads....then below that use my user name hit search

There should be 3 timing articles for ya

Or same advanced search same username but choose timing marks for thread title.

Just saying tons info here.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the site search isn't working for you try this.

Go to google and type

site:eek:ilburners.net "topic"

In place of "topic" enter keywords like timing thread riotwarrior

clthorn

Reaction score
Thanks every I found some very helpful ingormation. So basically I'm going to need a Ferret v765-01 and an adjustable timing light is this correct?

clthorn

Reaction score
The tach n time from kent Moore looks a little complicated. I'm not saying I'm stupid by any means but they don't sell new units anymore and if I buy a secondhand one that is malfunctioning I might not catch it and screw my timing up. I'd rather buy a new ferret unit for the peace of mind. It seems like everyone has forgotten or doesn't see any value of these engines. I love mine I'm going to see how far this hog will last. I just got done installing a 4 core aluminum radiator from champion along with water pump, thermostat, and installed a coolant filter. When my jic fittings come in I can Finnish my bypass oil filter. Everyone looks at me crazy because I go over this engine with a fine tooth comb but I want it to make it to 500,000

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those are just some marks someone else made.look straight up on top by the upper bolt.i see the two lines and they're lined up i think but they are both under crud.she's in the ballpark.ferret & timing light w/ advance is the way to go.

these things ain't fussy about being able to run though.you could move that much away the top lines,either way and it would still start and run too.not good but run.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

clthorn

Reaction score
Oh wow!! I didn't even see those. I feel much better now. I'm still planing on buying the tools to check it. The truck runs good and starts good and doesn't smoke at all, I mean none!! But its just sluggish last time I weighed it I was right at 9500lbs with all my tools so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best fuel milage possible

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look again, there is paint pen on that pump which says to me, it probably did not come on this truck or it has been rebuilt at some point. I think the marks the OP pointed out are the factory marks but if the pump has been remaned or is off another truck (i.e. used) those marks are meaningless as to actual timing as has been stated. Eagle eye there may have spotted a timing mark someone made when they put the pump on the truck if you are lucky.... I have no freaking idea how he saw it... but good catch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online