Wholly crap she ran away on me

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That uses an external regulator. Trust me. I replaced both the external regulator and the alternator on my F250 when it ended up only needing the alternator. I have two IDIs (see sig) and both have that kind of alternator, being both 6.9Ls of the same era.
Somebody has chopped almost every wire on this thing. They pulled the regulator and tossed it. Man these auto parts stores are a trip

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Somebody has chopped almost every wire on this thing. They pulled the regulator and tossed it. Man these auto parts stores are a trip

Maybe a rat went chewy chewy and they tried to fix it.

An Oreillys clerk told me that metric brake fittings don't exist because they didn't have any on their rack. I went across town to Napa and got the metric fittings/line I needed off of their rack.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The tester works right for external regulators if operated correctly

I guess two different oreillys workers in two different states, years apart, didn't know how to use it then. The Dodge was in Arizona in 2013, and the F250 was in Washington in 2017. So much for knowing their jobs.

At least the Washington one tested the alternator right after i pulled it and carried it inside.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask them for a heater core for a 72 vw beetle

I lady I bought a Geo Metro from said the non-existent AC system would explode if charged, according to her mechanic. Seriously. It was heater/vent only. The condenser delete plate was there. It never had AC.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. That's not the problem.

Either this guy is clueless or he lied to you so that you would do just this.

Another clueless or liar here.

Here's the proof from my last response. If it has an external regulator, then they couldn't have possibly tested it. Since they couldn't have tested it, there's NO WAY that it could have passed.
The thing about amps vs. overcharging is that the regulator is what controls the output of the alternator. You could have a 20,000 amp alternator and as long as the regulator's in good shape, then it will not overcharge your alternator.
It is not completely true that the alt can't be tested with out the regulator. From back in the day when I did mechanic work I had this tester which you plug in place of the regulator . Then with a voltmeter you can tell how much the alt is putting out and if the reg is bad. Granted with this the system is unregulated and only for testing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take that 65 back and have them give you the 100 that belongs on the truck. And if you wiring is cut am sure one of us here can help you get it wired back right.

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take that 65 back and have them give you the 100 that belongs on the truck. And if you wiring is cut am sure one of us here can help you get it wired back right.
I took the new one back today and had them check my 100. They didn't know if it was supposed to have a external regulator. So I bough one anyway
I found a video on how to wire it up. Going to do tomorrow. Thanks for all the help everyone

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the new one back today and had them check my 100. They didn't know if it was supposed to have a external regulator. So I bough one anyway
I found a video on how to wire it up. Going to do tomorrow. Thanks for all the help everyone
Some of them parts guys are really something, there is no way there machine should not be able to check alt output. You should go in and ask for some hyd muffler bearings for your truck, be sure to tell them what color the truck is it is important. LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It is not completely true that the alt can't be tested with out the regulator. From back in the day when I did mechanic work I had this tester which you plug in place of the regulator . Then with a voltmeter you can tell how much the alt is putting out and if the reg is bad. Granted with this the system is unregulated and only for testing.
I said that the regulator couldn't have tested as ok since there wasn't one. I do know that they can test an alternator with an external regulator. I've had it done myself.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I said that the regulator couldn't have tested as ok since there wasn't one. I do know that they can test an alternator with an external regulator. I've had it done myself.
Sorry miss read that. It's amazing what some dumb parts guy will tell you. Kind of funny the other day was at the parts store , guy getting a starter for his 6.9 , he ask if they can test the old one, yep. I pip up and say no you can't the test only shows if it will spin, not that it will work under a load. He walk out with a new one.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the external regulator was missing, maybe someone did the 3G upgrade that was quite popular a decade or more ago. Sorry your wiring is such a mess and you have to reverse engineer what has happened to this truck. A voltmeter will always be your friend.

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well lo and behold turns out that someone had eliminated the voltage regulator. Wired in a regulator very simple to do
Bat post on alternator to + post on battery
S post on regulator to wire from harness that is hot when key is on and not when key switch is off
A post on regulator hot all the time wire
F post on the regulator to the field wire on the alternator (the one closest to the front of the alternator ) and screwed the regulator to the fender well and ran a ground wire to one of the screws. And took it for a drive no rotten egg smell batteries not hot no side bulging.
Thanks for all the help

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were exactly right

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online