Who had the new camshaft?

mainiac

Reaction score
I posted a while back about reusing my cam. I remember someone chimmed in stating they had one they weren't going to use and would let it go.

Is that someone still out there? :)

Found on closer inspection that my lift pump eccentric is worn, and I don't like it.

Thanks, Mike

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
mainiac said:
I posted a while back about reusing my cam. I remember someone chimmed in stating they had one they weren't going to use and would let it go.

Is that someone still out there? :)

Found on closer inspection that my lift pump eccentric is worn, and I don't like it.

Thanks, Mike

Mike

It may be cheaper to put in an electic pump and omit the lift pump if that's all that's wrong with it. Those cams are pretty pricey. I know I prefer having the lift pump, but if it came down to a cam change for that reason, I would go electric.

Tom

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
It is cheaper to buy a Holley Red for 100 bucks and a Fuel Pump block off plate for a big block chevy for around 5-10 bucks than a brand new cam,gasket set,.....

mainiac

Reaction score
I priced a new Clevite at Napa for $279.
I have too much under the hood as it is and don't like to stray too far from stock.
Thanks for the advice, though.
Still have to wait until Tuesday before I can start assembling this beast.

Mike

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Electric fuel pump can be frame mounted, mine is back by the rear wheels! :) Might help under the hood...

Just kidding, I know what you mean but do like my electric pump. At any rate, keeping these things simple is a good idea. Hope the assembly goes well for you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why not just buy the mechanical lift pump excentric from Ford or International? It can't be cost much as compared to a new cam. All you need to do is install it when you get it and thats no big deal either. I had my cam reground and the shop lost the keyway so I bought another keyway from Fordparts Online (Bob Utter Ford in Sherman Texas). ;Sweet

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
You always want to mount the Fuel pump as close to the tanks as posible.Fuel pumps push not suck.You do NOT want an electric pump under the hood.Just ask Whitehorse.Some knuckle head did that on his extended cab right before he "Stole it" cause it wouldn't run.They put the pump inplace of the stock separator on the firewall running pushing though the stocker.We yanked it stuck a barb to barb fitting in it's place and she fired up for us.Runs pretty good for a truck with either a tooth of or a worn out pump.But I am gonna give tim a good pump for his worn out one.

mainiac

Reaction score
icanfixall said:
Why not just buy the mechanical lift pump excentric from Ford or International?

Does the eccentric come off? Is it pressed on along with the gear or what?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Everything bolts to the front of the cam. The gear, excentric, spacer & bolting flange that doubles as the retainer and thrust keeper. They are all available from Ford and International. Check out each for the best price. Probably Fordparts online would be the best price. No need to buy a new cam if you don't need one. Or just install an electric transfer pump (holley red) like many have done. It sure makes for an easy way to change the fuelfilters. No more running the starter for long cranking times. :Sly