Whiteish blueish smoke at WOT

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I couldn't see where you said, but is the back of the valley pan oily? As in it looks like the oil is running over it? If that doesn't appear to have signs of fresh oil, then I'd guess that you're looking at either the back of the oil pan or the rear main seal. If someone had the flywheel/flexplate off for some reason and didn't put RTV back on the bolt threads, oil will seep past them too.

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back of the valley pan has a lot or crud in it oily chunky crap. Also that little valley where the oil sending unit is is really oily. I thought it was that but I don’t see how it could leak a quart every 100 miles

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It is possible that the sending unit itself is leaking. Maybe there's a leak around the threads on the bottom of the oil pressure sender or the piece that it mounts to. I'm just throwing out possibilities here and I'm just about out of them.

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate it. I’ve looked up and down this thing and I can’t find it, it’s quite irritating to be honest haha. I pulled it out yesterday and thread taped all of it but it didn’t help. Still have oil drips every time I stop as well as a great layer of rust prevention under the truck lol

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally blue smoke is retarded timing, especially at the upper end like that - your pump just can't advance the timing enough to compensate for the shorter piston cycle.
Advance the IP a little, check out the WOT smoke/feel, then probably need to adjust the light load cam to compensate and make it drivable at the low end.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t screw with the light load advance you’ll only make things worse, there’s a reason the light load advance is setup the way it is.

Get your timing right before you mess with anything else, I’d also run a heavy dosage of hotshots diesel extreme to clean everything up real good.

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I advanced it and set the light load advance to come on just after the throttle starts to move. Smoke in top end is just how it should be, now the bottom end when taking off slowly smokes white, which is weird it looks black in my mirror but from outside the truck it looks white once the rpms get up it goes away

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you hadnt jacked with the light load advance you wouldnt have all that smoke down low. I hope you marked it before you adjusted it so you can get it back to the original setting.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I advanced it and set the light load advance to come on just after the throttle starts to move. Smoke in top end is just how it should be, now the bottom end when taking off slowly smokes white, which is weird it looks black in my mirror but from outside the truck it looks white once the rpms get up it goes away
Remember, the more the cam actuates, the more retarded the timing. So, you want to make it actuate less at first - try rotating the cam a little backwards(top towards the front of the motor), so it happens later and you get more advance down low.

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I found it. One injector isn’t aerating the diesel. It’s just squirting a straight stream of it. The rest all had a fine misty spray to them