White smoke when in idle, it goes away when accelerator is pressed a little.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try loosening the 3 nuts behind the gear cover/oil fill and turn the IP (a dimes thickness) towards the passenger side of the vehicle and see if that clears your smoke. Retarded timing will cause excessive smoke. How many miles are on the IP and injectors?

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
That injection pump and the glowplugs has about 70K miles. I need to study very carefully that business of tinkering with the timing because I don't have much experience in this matter nor the proper tools. I'll see what you say and study if I can try to do that. Thanks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote leaking injectors as well. Do you see excess smoke on deceleration as well?

Heath

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
in my experience slightly retarted timing or leaking injectors

I'm going to start shopping for a new set of injectors. When I start the engine in the morning it starts right away, at the first revolutions, very fast and easy but in idle the engines shakes a lot when cold and after 3 or 4 minutes it gets steady and if you press a little the accelerator the smoke clears and runs good and strong.

Thanks guys for your help. I have to put aside some money and time to do some maintenance and check few things in this van.

Burt.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I vote leaking injectors as well. Do you see excess smoke on deceleration as well?

Heath

As soon as I take my foot off the pedal the white smoke returns. What do you understand as "leaking injectors"? Do you guys mean that they keep dripping diesel inside the chamber when it's not their turn to spray?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
basically they are dripping as pressure builds thereby injecting out of time. I would test the glow plugs on the cold start issue but that could also be linked to your tires

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
basically they are dripping as pressure builds thereby injecting out of time. I would test the glow plugs on the cold start issue but that could also be linked to your tires

I'm sorry. I don't understand the relation of what you call cold start and testing the glowplugs to the tires. Can you explain this, please?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker