White smoke on startup???

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got another question.....When I start my truck cold it smokes white until it gets warmed up and then it goes away......It also will go away when you give it a little throttle.....Just wondering what this could be, if maybe the timing is off a little or one of the injectors is stuck open....My glow plugs are on a push button and it will start right up so I dont think that they would be causing the problem, But I am no diesel mechanic. Just wondering if anyone out there has encounterd this problem? Thanks in advance. Brad King T.C. Michigan

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Got another question.....When I start my truck cold it smokes white until it gets warmed up and then it goes away......It also will go away when you give it a little throttle.....Just wondering what this could be.

Normal! White smoke at start up of a cold engine is unburned fuel.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree. Especially true when its cold. If you have any dead glow plugs, slightly retarded timing, or especially air leaks or bad fuel will exacerbate this problem.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I third the motion. White smoke is normal on cold startup. It will be exasterbated by your manual glow plug setup, since the stock controller cycles the plugs on and off for the first minute to keep the air warmer.