White smoke from intake after i shut truck off

Chrismohan

Reaction score
I have a lot of white smoke coming out of the intake when i shut motor off. I also have it coming out of the cowl while the truck is running. What would be the cause of all the smoke

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steam?
Blow by?
Road weasels?
Lucas the prince of darkness?

Do give a more detailed explanation of smoke...

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you take your air filter off, and then shut the engine off, you will see 'smoke' wafting up from the back of the intake manifold. This is leftover blowly/crankcase gasses coming up from the motor.

While the engine is running, it gets sucked into the intake a burned, but when you shut it off, there is nothing to keep it being pulled in.

If you are seeing that smoke *outside* the intake manifold, then you have a problem. Make sure that the CDR(at the back of the intake manifold) is intact, and it's rubber hose going down into the valley pan is OK. Otherwise, you'll need to replace it if it's cracked.

Remember, the CDR does *not* prevent crankcase gasses from going through it; it is designed to prevent a clogged air filter from causing suction on the block and literally sucking the vapors and oil into the engine. Under normal conditions, it's wide open.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check CDR, but this is normal. If your engine has lots of blowby, you might see a little more than usual.

Chrismohan

Reaction score
Its white and rolls out of the intake snorkel or whatever its called. Only after i shut the truck off
Steam?
Blow by?
Road weasels?
Lucas the prince of darkness?

Do give a more detailed explanation of smoke...

Chrismohan

Reaction score
If you take your air filter off, and then shut the engine off, you will see 'smoke' wafting up from the back of the intake manifold. This is leftover blowly/crankcase gasses coming up from the motor.

While the engine is running, it gets sucked into the intake a burned, but when you shut it off, there is nothing to keep it being pulled in.

If you are seeing that smoke *outside* the intake manifold, then you have a problem. Make sure that the CDR(at the back of the intake manifold) is intact, and it's rubber hose going down into the valley pan is OK. Otherwise, you'll need to replace it if it's cracked.

Remember, the CDR does *not* prevent crankcase gasses from going through it; it is designed to prevent a clogged air filter from causing suction on the block and literally sucking the vapors and oil into the engine. Under normal conditions, it's wide open.
It comes out of the cowls near the front windshield when running. Almost makes it look like the truck is overheating but it is not.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the air cleaner and see where it's coming from. Idle it and watch.

It might just be the CDR hose being broken/cracked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online