white/blue smoke low mpg low power

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recently got this truck was not smoking and out of no were it started to smoke white and blue just geting worse and worse.. i replaced all the return lines new water/fuel seperator it helped a little on the smoke but still there... HORRIBLE smoke on startup settles down once cold start turns off but constant smoke very little unless you go down a hill and get on the gas a crazy amount again.. the smoke burns your eyes defently diesel.. horrible power cannot go up a hill past 40 mph with peddle slammed... rmps increase when slam on gas but NO change in speed at all stay at same speed..is this the injector pump advance worn? injectors? valves? im completly lost and dont want to spend money that i do not need to spend.. any help is amazing.. serveral people have said pump and injectors but none know alot about diesels just very little

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 idi 228k miles i have NO idea if pump or injectors have ever been replaced very well kept otherwise i realy dont know much about diesels at all this is my first one and just got it.. no smoke when i got it.. was driving back on 900 mile trip and about mid way noticed a ton of smoke going downhill just got worse and worse from there no power low mpg.. tell me what els you need to know

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Strong fuel eye burning sensation and blue smoke = retarded timing. Very retarded.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color are the pump and injectors? If they are painted the same color as the engine, they are way beyond their expected service life. The first thing I would do is change the fuel filter. Warm engine up. Fill the new filter with ATF through the outer holes and install it. Restart truck and let it run until you hear the sound of the engine change. It will go from sounding like a diesel to sounding like a gas engine. Shut it off and leave it overnight. That may help with any sticky fuel pump or injector parts.

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the return lines were leaking pretty bad so the pump is a different color and i havnt looked at the injectors other then the tips to replace the return line t's and would retarded timing cause HORRIBLE mpg? i mean like 5-8 mpg atleast i can drive 30 mins and go threw a quarter tank... while berly being on gas... and also cause no power?

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and i have tried ATF in filter that didnt change anything at all

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need to get this truck running right in a week or 2.. school and work need a vehicle

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
yes retarded timing would cause that. Talk to Gary (icanfixall) about renting a meter.

Also it's very very likely you have some injectors ******* as well.

feel your injector lines when it's running, see if any get hot. be careful, because if they do get hot, they will get MELT YOUR FINGER OFF hot.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what your saying, at a very minimum, your injectors are shot. More than likely you have a bunch of leakers and that's what is causing your eye burning smoke. The whole fuel system is suspect, so do yourself a favor and replace your pump, injectors, return lines and fuel filter, so you don't have to worry about that stuff for a long time. You should also evaluate your lift pump and consider changing it out or upgrading to an electric. The is the equivalent of a "tune up" on a gas engine. Diesels need them too. Just not as often. It's a $1000 investment you make once a decade.

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have no problem spending $1000 on this truck only problem is i dont want to install the injector pump because ive heard you can damage the engine if you do it wrong

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do it right. Then you have zero chance of damaging the engine. Actually, you don't have much chance of damaging the engine doing it wrong. You will just get the pump out of time and then it is a PITA to fix that. This forum will walk you through the entire procedure.

What year is this truck? It doesn't have a turbo, does it?

Give a little more detail on where you are at. California is a tall state and there are members spread out all through it. Canada is a long country....

I would still look and see if the injectors and pump are original. I would also check the timing as a first step. But it doesn't cost me anything extra to time it as I've already purchased a meter.

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1993 7.3 non turbo i will call previous owner and ask about injector and pump but im pretty sure its origanl with just about 229k on truck im about 2 hours from sacramento in a small town with nothing here and cant i just time it by ear? take the side panel off and use a alan wrench? would that help or should i take it to a shop and pay to get it timed? bringing in my pump probably next week to get it rebuilt they said about $500 and then $50 a injector already did return lines will install both those if that doesnt help ill buy lift pump

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online