Which fuel filter?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched but get a million results. Most of which don't talk about which fuel filter to use.
I think I remember reading posts that talk about a water drain, etc., that lead me to believe there are options but when I go to NAPA's website there's just plain old filters like I have on mine now.
I believe the stand alone water separator was removed from my truck before I got it since I can't find one.
Do I need a water separator and are there fuel filters that remove water?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I also use that filter. But honestly, as long as you're using a good filter, just send it. Pretty unlikely you'll get water in your fuel unless you're filling up at a weird station.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched but get a million results. Most of which don't talk about which fuel filter to use.
I think I remember reading posts that talk about a water drain, etc., that lead me to believe there are options but when I go to NAPA's website there's just plain old filters like I have on mine now.
I believe the stand alone water separator was removed from my truck before I got it since I can't find one.
Do you have a water separator bowl on the bottom of your filter now? If so you can keep that and get a filter that will have a regular opening at the top like you’d expect and then a large opening on the bottom that your bowl will screw on to.

You can keep this setup or get one of the filters that deletes the water separator bowl and instead has a thumb screw that you unscrew and hook a piece of hose to (unnecessary really) and drain any water from it on some regular basis or if you suspect water.

Either style works well but some prefer the thumb screw style because it eliminates a possible leak (the large o ring on the water bowl.

Either way your best bet is to go to Rockauto.com for the filter. Massively cheaper than the parts store, usually by almost 50%

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

The factory filter head for an 87 6.9 won't accept the kind of filter with the bowl and drain. I like Motorcraft FD811 fine myself.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I use the Motorcraft filter and the stock water separator bowl.

You may also want to put new o-rings on the water sensor and the heater to avoid leaks later. Many have just deleted the heater.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Motorcraft filter and the stock water separator bowl.

You may also want to put new o-rings on the water sensor and the heater to avoid leaks later. Many have just deleted the heater.
6.9 has a different fuel filter setup the filter and water separator are two separate assemblies.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out that no stores within driving distance stock a fuel filter for my 6.9. ***?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9 has a different fuel filter setup the filter and water separator are two separate assemblies.
My water separator has been removed. From what I've read here it seems that water in the fuel isn't very common these days. And that the risk of air intrusion at the separator is more of a concern than water in the fuel.
I wonder how much water would be needed to get a hydro. lock. Are there water separators for sale that are reliable and worth adding back to my truck?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score

Yes aware the 6.9 had a separate water separator (That most have deleted or replaced with aftermarket.) I assumed 6.9’s still had a two piece filter as a secondary like a 7.3.

So does a 6.9 have a water sensor in the bottom of the filter?

Is the 6.9 filter a solid one piece filter from the factory?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yes aware the 6.9 had a separate water separator (That most have deleted or replaced with aftermarket.) I assumed 6.9’s still had a two piece filter as a secondary like a 7.3.

Yes, one piece. No water sensor on the filter, the sensor is in the factory water separator because it's before the fuel filter.

It looks like a small oil filter, but says fuel filter. The exact one:

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yep, no water drain or sensor. I even looked up a dimensional cross reference for it to see if I could find an alternative with a drain for the OP. Mostly because I had the spread sheet, and a couple minutes to spare. Iirc it’s not a very common thread, 7/8-14 maybe. Anyway the only thing Baldwin had with a drain was like 9 or 10 inches tall.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, no water drain or sensor. I even looked up a dimensional cross reference for it to see if I could find an alternative with a drain for the OP. Mostly because I had the spread sheet, and a couple minutes to spare. Iirc it’s not a very common thread, 7/8-14 maybe. Anyway the only thing Baldwin had with a drain was like 9 or 10 inches tall.

Think that filter you found should cross to a wix 33337 and is ~9.40in, I have two 6.9 filter heads mounted on my frame. This 33337 water separator is 14 micron and 33377 filter is at 5 micron that I use, the non drain 33811 filter is rated at 6 micron.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01