Where is everyone getting their ARP head studs from?

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw someone mention Summit in a thread, but the only thing I could find was $600+, I know everyone's been throwing around the $220+/- range. Just curious as to where you got them?
I decided since the engine is out, I should just do this for added insurance and save myself a headache somewhere down the road.

Thanks!

MoMo

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought mine directly from ARP. At the time, I didn't know there were any other online vendors to purchase them...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yes they are. PM icanfixall, ARP does not make a kit for the 7.3 IDI yet, so you have to purchase a set of generic studs, washers and nuts. He has the part numbers you need.

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cheapest ive found is northernparts.com

see, again, they've only got the 6.9 set. I'll see if I can call ARP tomorrow, I had seen icanfixit's price list, I just didn't know if there was someone else to get them from.

Thanks,

MoMo

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silly questions but, how many studs do I need? I didn't think to count them before.

Thanks,

MoMo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The count is 34 stds. Thats 17 for each head. Be sure to torque them done 5 times loosening them up each time. This breaks down the friction between the nuts, threads, and washer. You will probably get another 1/2 to 3/4 turn on the nuts. Get a allen wrench socket to fit the stud hex and tighten them up in the block. Also make sure you use a bottoming tap to clean the threads in the bottom of the head bolt holes in the block. If you motor is out of the truck use a fine honeing stone and plenty of oil and clean up the heads and block mating surfaces. You will find tiny metal burrs that stick up causing an uneven surface to bolt to. The stone will tell you when you have found one. Don't try to make it a mirror finish. Just take off the high spots. Your head gasket will thank you for it. Remember the precups can stick up out of the heads no more than 2 1/2 thousands and be sunk into the heads no more than 2 1/2 thousands. If you use ARP molloy lube then you can use there 100 lbs torque values. If you use 30 wt oil you need 130 lbs of torque. I'm not strong enough to torque 34 studs doen 5 times at 130 lbs.... Lets see... 34 studs times 5 time 130 lbs of torque... Nope... I'm already tired.:sly

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
about 450 if you get 12 point nuts.

Hey mel, I have a current arp price sheet ,could we put this info in the tech articles, I know how much Gary hates to type.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On ebay, There are about five to six sets of ARP Head studs that are all around 200 dollars. Just type in 6.9l and the should come up.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I bought mine through northernautoparts.com . It was $225 or so shipped, not to bad ;Sweet. Heck when I get home they will be sitting there waiting for me to throw them in there :D

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but just to clarify, the 6.9 studs are different then the 7.3, right?
Also, I don't plan on replacing the head gaskets. I know I probably should, but there's only 136k miles on this engine and I'm on a time limit and tight budget.

Thanks,

MoMo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US