When it rains it pours.....Murphy's back.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
So I head off to work this morning....The battery charge light comes on for a few seconds and goes out the rest of the way to work. The voltmeter looks a little low but the light was out....I leave to meet the wife at her ultrasound appt and the light stayed out on for good. I checked my regulator, fixed a few green connections and corroded terminals. I have ignition power to the green wire, I have a constant 12v on the yellow wire, the white and orange wires for the field and stator are good (did a continuity test on both). Check all the fusible links - ok....So I threw on a new regulator that I had - no change....Threw on a freebie used alternator that I had here - still nothing...So I guess I'll have both alternators tested tommorow and pick up a new one...Man I hate buying new parts when I have 8 parts trucks to pick from...-cuss :rotflmao ....What year did they switch to serpentine belts on the 7.3?

And to top it all off I noticed that I have a fuel leak at my IP (valley pan is pretty wet) all the lower lines on the IP are wet and the return line on #7 is wet so it's time for a return line kit....Murphy's back, here I am trying to knock out a few big projects before the twins are born and now I have more to do...:mad: :backoff -cuss :dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....Murphy's back, here I am trying to knock out a few big projects before the twins are born and now I have more to do...:mad: :backoff -cuss :dunno

Hopefully the twins won't be twin Murphys too boot....

In all seriousness Sorry to hear of the woa's. It's tough when you have kids on the way and problems arise....tougher when kids are there and they got t get somewhere and then u lend the truck and well....it breaks down on em (don't ask me how I know)

Speaking of your injector lines reminded me about injection lines and I wondered if a nice set of stainless could be ordered from somewhere?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The leaks might explain my harder then normal starting lately in the mornings....Not really fussy, just a little cranky she's been....And the wife too....LOL....I'll have the alternators tested today and go from there....Everything else looked ok to me.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Everyone knows Murphy's Law.
What they do not know is that Murphy was a ****-eyed optimist!!

IOW, its even worse...

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try this,,mine was doing that and was really worried,,,checked everything and then jus tapped on glass or plastic at gauge and it popped up to normal,,,think needle must be rubbin or somethin but it works, everytime it does that now i tap and it jumps up to normal , but nwayz might be that

gandalf

Reaction score
1992 is the first year for the serpentine setup. good part is they use the same alternator as the PSD's. The drive pulley is different though.

It must have been mid way through the production year that they changed over. My '92 (titled '92, manufactured 11/91 in Canada), does not have the serpentine belts.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I checked the batteries with a multimeter - not charging. The alternators are at the repair shop now getting quoted for rebuilding. I can get a reman for $123 down the street so either way I'll have something to go on it tonight.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here's the deal...My old 100A alternator was toast...The spare is ok...70A unit putting out 85A on the test bench....I put it back on after work with my old regulator and bingo - it's alive.....Charging good. The new regulator was bad so it's going back to NAPA....POS....And I bought another rebuilt alternator for $40 today from a guy I bought a rebuilt starter from a while back, hasn't been mounted since it was rebuilt. I remembered him saying he had it so I went to see if he had sold it yet...Good deal for $40, cost over $100 to rebuild one of these. Working on a deal now for a spare IP and lines cheap...Still waiting to here what "cheap" is...LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online