wheel bearing question

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay so i stop off today to pick up some wheel bearings now i didnt pull them out yet i wanted to make sure they had them and i got everything i needed so the truck wasnt down for to long. well the guy at the computer said it listed 2 different ones cone or cup for both inside and out???:dunno which ones do i need

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
in my experience (mind you, not much) you need all 4. 2 outer 2 inner. the cones are the taper bearings and the cups are pressed into the hub. the cones ride on/in the cup
chris

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought there where just two bearings the outer and the inner?

DieselChemist

Reaction score
You need a inner and outer bearing and the bearing races that apply to the specific bearings. I am not sure if the race comes with the bearing. The races are pressed into the hub and should be replaced when you do the bearings. I do not know what you are talking about when you say cup or cone, are those different ways of calling the bearing and race?

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have never once heard a race called a cup before??? why the hell cant they just call it a race:dunno

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the parts guy didnt know what the hell it ment by cone or cup either but it dont take much to confuse them :rotflmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It has always been bearing and race. They are always tapered wheel bearings. Years ago I remember them being called Timken tapered bearings. Cup and cone is like the new math to me. Although the posting about cup = race and cone = bearing makes some sense. Kids behind the counter need to learn what they are trying to sell before they can sell it.:D

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cup and cone is proper bearing terminology. "Race" is something that a non-bearing person would call it. (Technically a race is the surface that the bearing rolling elements run on, not the whole part).

Unless you have new rotors (with new cups), you need to replace the cups and cones both. Do not mix old and new parts as the parts wear together.

I recommend sticking with Timken, ***, or SKF bearings which are made in US, Germany and Sweden. There are lots of cheap bearings out there that are made in China or Poland. NTN and Koyo also make good bearings if you want a Japanese product. Bower is a crap shoot as far as country and quality.

Technical point - tapered roller bearings are available as seperate cups and cones because each bearing is available in multiple ID's and OD's and you simply find matching cups and cones with the dimensions you need with the load characteristics you need (different taper angles and series give different load characteristics). Metric tapered roller bearings however only come in sets (There are probably less then 20 metric sets compared to thousands of inch dimension bearings).

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Cone and cup - normal to me. I can go to my parts counter at work and ask for a cone and cup without even getting a 2nd look. Timken still uses that terminology in their books.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NTN maybe japanese owned but there made in america. i used to service there cranes in there manufacturing plant in elgin, il.
chris

They may make some of the larger bearings here, most of the standard units I've seen were manufactured in Japan. However I have been out of the bearing business for maybe 7 years now and I was in the surplus side of it so I generally dealt with bearings that were 5 - 70 years old. (Nothing like unpacking military packed bearings from WWII).

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
i stand corrected, i've never been to japan or delt with them other than servicing there cranes. thank you for the info.
chris

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i was in the service i was a heavy equipment mechainc we always called them bearings and races. this was the fist time i have ever heard that

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online