What's the best winch?

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats your preference when the ol idi gets in a bind. I had a Warn on my old truck and worked great every time. Warn is quit proud of them and it shows in the price! Just curious what other people are using or what you know. There are quit a few winch manufacturers out there these days but I used my last one mostly when I was in $hit creek and lost my paddle. That's not the time to find out my "good deal" winch wasn't really. My friend has one he got from Harbor Freight (whatever their brand is) that he's used the **** out of over the past couple of years and swears by it. What's your guys thoughts?

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used hydraulic mile markers in the army on our hmmv's. Never had an issue so thats what i bought when i got out. Mine will pull and pull and pull. That and they are priced reasonably.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. The best winches are Warn, hands down.

Of course there are others that are acceptable... but again... if you want the best, Warn.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i got a warn on mine and love it. pick up the latest petersons 4 wheeler mag, they did a massive winch test. warn won, but some others tested good but were cheap also.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have an old Warn on my trailer. I was quite impressed when I was trying to load a truck with a locked wheel and the winch pulled my truck and the trailer towards the broken truck.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Warn are good but i have a old Ramsey RE series winch and its worm gear design is far superior in strength then warns. Allot of old PTO winches are Ramsey RE winches with the motor removed :sly

You must be registered for see images attach

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I have a Warn M12000, Goofy can speak for the rediculous power it has.

Yep! if the truck we are loading won't budge, and the truck and trailer we are pulling from won't budge....it will turn the trailer inside out before it stops pulling!!! :eek:

I have seen that old thing drag trucks kicking and screaming more than once!

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a m9000 warn and it has been a good winch but like all electric winches can only pull so much for so long before it needs to cool down. My hydraulic mile marker will pull until the truck runs out of fuel.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
The one that gets you out when your stuck is the best one to have!

That being said, I'm a WARN fan, myself.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
The one that gets you out when your stuck is the best one to have!

That being said, I'm a WARN fan, myself.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For 15 years, I made a living with my Ramsey 9000lb hydraulic PTO winches on the back of the towtrucks.;Sweet
For those of you lucky enough to find a mile marker hydraulic winch kit that hasn't bee bought out by the gov't, do treat your system to biggest trans cooler with fan assist and reservoir setup you can cram into the truck. There isn't enough fluid in the system to keep from getting burned up in a hard recovery. Extra cooling and fluid capacity goes a long way.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 15 years, I made a living with my Ramsey 9000lb hydraulic PTO winches on the back of the towtrucks.;Sweet
For those of you lucky enough to find a mile marker hydraulic winch kit that hasn't bee bought out by the gov't, do treat your system to biggest trans cooler with fan assist and reservoir setup you can cram into the truck. There isn't enough fluid in the system to keep from getting burned up in a hard recovery. Extra cooling and fluid capacity goes a long way.

I thought the mile marker winch was powered by the power steering pump

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
It will overheat the steering system if used heavily, that's why Calvin suggested the cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online