What would you do

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright, I'm getting into biodiesel, and I need to start to gather things for the processor. If you were to do this, or could do it all again (if you already have a processor all built up), what things would it contain? I need like a full detailed list. I've searched the internet, and I'll I've gotten is a headache, there are tons of kits, but I would like to learn first hand from you guys what you think works the best.

I want to be able to make at least 20+gallons at a time, but I doubt I would ever go over 40 gallons at a time. Talk me through it, with all the steps and everything, like washing it, titrating it, ect....

I will do one litle sample batch at first to make sure it works of course, and to perfect everything.

I would appreciate it ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
search for Girl Mark user here I believe She is a member, I have Her book and it gives You a very good idea of how things work and best way to start your own proccesor She's good.

I got Her book thanks to a Member here Freightrain (sp?), maybe He can get you a copy but I think there are some online some where.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Yeah I got GM's book about 2 years ago. great stuff best $18 I've ever spent. (I think it is 20 or 22 now?) She has classes all over the place too. a 2 day crash course on the how to's. I'm still only making 1 liter test batches and trying to stay active with that just need the time to finish my filter system and processor. Right now I'm looking at the 16% boost dry wash process right now. It sounds very promising!;Sweet

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get the biggest processor I could. It takes the same amount of time to make 40 gallons as it does to make 20. I'm running 40 gallon batches now and I wish I had the capacity to do 200!

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warning -- LONG POST

First -- my setup.

Processor is an re-sealable 55 gallon barrel. I've got a "manifold" that comes in the center of the lid, through a T, and out each side. All 1" iron pipe. I drilled holes in the pipe so that as it's being processed, I get a really good mix on everything.
There is a connection built into the bottom of the barrel that goes to the pump. I used a 120V 1500W water heater element in the side of the barrel about 1/3 the way up. Try to keep as much of the plumbing pipe as you can. I used a lot of clear tubing, and I've got to replace it all -- doesn't really hold up well.

Wash tank is a clear poly 55 gallon drum with a concrete bottom (I did this to make a semi-conical bottom to drain better). It's upside-down with a spigot in the smaller bung.

How I process

1. Fill processor up with oil. I do 40 gallons, which is just about all the processor can handle by the time you get everything done.

2. Start heater and pump. If you don't pump while you heat, it's more likely that you'll burn the heater element out.

3. As it's warming up, I do my titration. I take 20 ml of rubbing alcohol, add some turmeric (from grocery store) for color. Mix well. Take two syringes, fill one up with titrating fluid. Drop by drop, add titrating fluid to the alcohol until it makes the color change to pink, then back to yellow. It should do this on the first one, or two. Add two ml of oil, mix well. Then, add titrating fluid drop at a time until color goes to dark red and stays there. This could take anywhere from .5ml up to 7. Mine usually ranges 2-4. The better the oil is, the lower the number.

4. Fill a vessel with methanol, I use 23% of the volume of oil. You have to use at least 20%, but you can use up to 25%. The more you have, the less problems you'll run into, but the more it costs.

5. Measure lye (amount varies according to titration) and mix slowly with the methanol. Most of the time, it takes me 30 minutes or so to get the lye to dissolve. I'm not stirring it the whole time, just stir for a while, let it sit, come back and do it again.

6. When oil reaches 120 - 130 degrees, TURN HEATER OFF. Then, introduce methanol mixture BEFORE the pump. My batches take 5 - 7 minutes to fully incorporate the methanol. While adding this, you'll need to vent the processor (I have a spigot in the small bung of this attached to a hose fed outside). After the methanol is added, close vent.

7. Let mix for at least 1.5 hours. 2 is better. I don't think you can go too long.

8. Add 5% water to the processor, mix for 15 minutes. This is one of the best things I learned...

9. Allow to settle. Depending on a lot of things, it could take 3 hours or longer. I usually let it sit overnight.

10. Drain off glycerin from the bottom of the barrel.

11. Pump biodiesel from processor to wash tank.

12. Add water SLOWLY via a mister (Use a MistPro from utahbiodieselsupply.com) I usually add 10 gallons or so each wash cycle.

13. Start air bubbler (from an aquarium -- find a wooden "stone" -- also at utahbiodiesel) The plastic ones will just melt after a batch or two.

14. Let bubbler run for 6-12 hours.

15. Let settle for 12-24 hours.

16. Drain water from wash tank. Stop when emulsion (looks like mayonnaise) comes out.

Repeat steps 12 - 16 as many times as you need until the water comes out CLEAR and there is no emulsion left. Doing the pre-wash (5% water into processor), I usually only have to wash twice.

17. Dry -- I just turn on the bubbler -- no water, until I can shine a light through the biodiesel and it's perfectly clear. Not cloudy at all.

18. Move to storage container. I've got a 275 gallon tote that has another pump with a filter and fuel handle on it. I use a goldenrod.

19. Fill up the truck. It gets filtered on the way.

If you've got any questions -- ask away!;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Warning -- LONG POST

First -- my setup.

Processor is an re-sealable 55 gallon barrel. I've got a "manifold" that comes in the center of the lid, through a T, and out each side. All 1" iron pipe. I drilled holes in the pipe so that as it's being processed, I get a really good mix on everything.
There is a connection built into the bottom of the barrel that goes to the pump. I used a 120V 1500W water heater element in the side of the barrel about 1/3 the way up. Try to keep as much of the plumbing pipe as you can. I used a lot of clear tubing, and I've got to replace it all -- doesn't really hold up well.

Wash tank is a clear poly 55 gallon drum with a concrete bottom (I did this to make a semi-conical bottom to drain better). It's upside-down with a spigot in the smaller bung.

How I process

1. Fill processor up with oil. I do 40 gallons, which is just about all the processor can handle by the time you get everything done.

2. Start heater and pump. If you don't pump while you heat, it's more likely that you'll burn the heater element out.

3. As it's warming up, I do my titration. I take 20 ml of rubbing alcohol, add some turmeric (from grocery store) for color. Mix well. Take two syringes, fill one up with titrating fluid. Drop by drop, add titrating fluid to the alcohol until it makes the color change to pink, then back to yellow. It should do this on the first one, or two. Add two ml of oil, mix well. Then, add titrating fluid drop at a time until color goes to dark red and stays there. This could take anywhere from .5ml up to 7. Mine usually ranges 2-4. The better the oil is, the lower the number.

4. Fill a vessel with methanol, I use 23% of the volume of oil. You have to use at least 20%, but you can use up to 25%. The more you have, the less problems you'll run into, but the more it costs.

5. Measure lye (amount varies according to titration) and mix slowly with the methanol. Most of the time, it takes me 30 minutes or so to get the lye to dissolve. I'm not stirring it the whole time, just stir for a while, let it sit, come back and do it again.

6. When oil reaches 120 - 130 degrees, TURN HEATER OFF. Then, introduce methanol mixture BEFORE the pump. My batches take 5 - 7 minutes to fully incorporate the methanol. While adding this, you'll need to vent the processor (I have a spigot in the small bung of this attached to a hose fed outside). After the methanol is added, close vent.

7. Let mix for at least 1.5 hours. 2 is better. I don't think you can go too long.

8. Add 5% water to the processor, mix for 15 minutes. This is one of the best things I learned...

9. Allow to settle. Depending on a lot of things, it could take 3 hours or longer. I usually let it sit overnight.

10. Drain off glycerin from the bottom of the barrel.

11. Pump biodiesel from processor to wash tank.

12. Add water SLOWLY via a mister (Use a MistPro from utahbiodieselsupply.com) I usually add 10 gallons or so each wash cycle.

13. Start air bubbler (from an aquarium -- find a wooden "stone" -- also at utahbiodiesel) The plastic ones will just melt after a batch or two.

14. Let bubbler run for 6-12 hours.

15. Let settle for 12-24 hours.

16. Drain water from wash tank. Stop when emulsion (looks like mayonnaise) comes out.

Repeat steps 12 - 16 as many times as you need until the water comes out CLEAR and there is no emulsion left. Doing the pre-wash (5% water into processor), I usually only have to wash twice.

17. Dry -- I just turn on the bubbler -- no water, until I can shine a light through the biodiesel and it's perfectly clear. Not cloudy at all.

18. Move to storage container. I've got a 275 gallon tote that has another pump with a filter and fuel handle on it. I use a goldenrod.

19. Fill up the truck. It gets filtered on the way.

If you've got any questions -- ask away!;Sweet

Sounds like it isnt that hard. Can you possibly take some pics of your proccessr, that part kinda has me confused. Thanks for walking me through that, and sorry not getting back to you sooner (skiing).

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are pics of my setup.... This is an older set of pictures, but the only thing I've done different is replace the red and white metal barrel with the clear poly barrel with concrete..

Another thing I'd do if I was starting again is to filter your oil before you put it in the processor....even if it's just through a "jean" filter (or a sheet, etc). I've been just pouring the oil in, and there is a lot of crunchies in there that I need to clean out.

Attachments

• s_manifoldb1.jpg
    s_manifoldb1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 7
  • s_manifoldb2.JPG
    s_manifoldb2.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 8
  • s_manifoldt1.jpg
    s_manifoldt1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 5
  • s_manifoldt2.JPG
    s_manifoldt2.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 6
  • s_processor.JPG
    s_processor.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 8
  • s_sprayer.jpg
    s_sprayer.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 9

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats a pretty clean looking setup you have going there. Alot cleaner than some of the DIY bio processors I've seen on the internet. If you dont mind, and if I do get into making bio, I think I just might go and copy your setup.......there's no copywrite on it is there :D LOL ;Sweet.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No copyright info here....copy away!

As I said earlier, try to limit the amount of that flex hose you put in there....after a year or two, you have to replace it all. As it ages, it "sweats" oil, so it becomes nasty and sticky. If I were doing it again, I'd run just one hose from the pump up to the upper manifold and that's it. I like having that part clear to use as a sight gauge.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So if I get this straight, sorry there will be more questions to come I'm sure, but the Blue 55 gallon drum is the "proccessor", and its where the oil and methoxide come together and get all warmed up (with heating element), and mixed together (with the aid of an electric pump). Then after that is all done, it is moved over into the wash tank, which in those pictures is the red and white barrel, but your now using some poly barrel with concrete bottom to make it drain better. The wash tank is used to add water, which then attaches to all the crap you dont need, and then after settling gets seperated, this is done several times to get most all of the stuff you dont need out. Then you let is settle and get the glycerin out, and your left with your biodiesel .Then after that you dry it by turning on the air bubbler thing which is some sort of aqaurium air pump. And then you should be all good to go, correct LOL ? Its a little condensed, but I think I'm getting it.

So whats the little blue barrel in the picture? Is that to mix up the methoxide stuff?

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just about got it..

Yes, the oil is heated in the processor, and then the methoxide added. I have a 10 gallon metal milk "jug" that I use to mix my methoxide. Not pictured. You could use two carboys (that's what I'd do -- makes mixing easier).

You let it settle in the processor, drain glycerin there before moving to the wash tank. If you get glycerin in the wash tank, it makes washing more difficult. Then, proceed with the wash as indicated. Each time I add water, I bubble wash, settle, drain, and begin again (if needed). After the drained water is clear, then proceed to dry.

The blue barrel on the right is actually a pressure tank I pulled out of a lake. I was going to try to make that into a processor, but it's a bit to small for my liking. I'm now going to use that to filter my WVO....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726