What wmo and mixes are the 6.5’s eating

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I’m in Australia and have a 6.5 chev N/A with a db2, curios what you other 6.5 owners are running successfully in ur trucks stateside,

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen a Chevy guy chime in on the WMO thing. It's 12 valve Cummins and 6.9/7.3 IDI ford guys since I've been on here. I've been curious about this myself though, I hope someone does say something.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I expect it would handle wmo as well as the ford idi. Except I wouldn't chance it with the electronic db4 pump... they seem to have enough issues already.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ha ha I just got chipped for not knowing nothing about the Ford motors don’t tell me Chevy guys that our trucks are so crap only Fords are tough enough!!!!!!!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ha ha I just got chipped for not knowing nothing about the Ford motors don’t tell me Chevy guys that our trucks are so crap only Fords are tough enough!!!!!!!
Yeah man, I haven't noticed anyone at all talking about their Chevys and WMO or WVO. But I'm with u2slow, if it's a mechanically injected diesel it should work.

Redblock

Reaction score
Well late reply, but I just joined....I have successfully for YEARS ran 100% WMO in my 6.2 trucks. I live in Ohio, and I was running it 100% in the winter even. It would surge badly for a minute or so during the winter cold starts (0-30*f) and die if you tried to take off without ample warmup time. I never plugged in it regularly, but when I did, it helped alot, as you could imagine. The truck ran quieter and had more power. I know "in my mind" that oil burns ALOT hotter than diesel. I have witnessed it in my own waste oil heater in the shop. The more waste oil I burn compared to diesel fuel, the more I have to add air. I cut the wmo back some and achieve the same heat output as fuel.
ANYWAYS,
I have also ran it in my 6.5 with mixed results. It's a 94 with an older BD Diesel 40hp chip, holset he351cw with a 67/76 mm upgraded exhaust, holley blue lift pump, and top mounted intercooler. I have also bumped the timing up to 2.00btdc. With just 50/50 mix, it would randomly surge and buck, and some intermittant excessive ratteling. "I" am ok with that, but I'm sure most people wouldn't like it. I did try 100% and it ran, but shortly went into a reduced power and I had to pull the optic sensor for a cleaning. That is not a job for everyone. I have a few scan tools as well as a TEC2, so not too big of a deal for me, other than the work to do it. But I would not recommend it.

6.2's yes, all day long.
6.5's not so much as long as they are electronic. That stupid optic sensor.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well late reply, but I just joined....I have successfully for YEARS ran 100% WMO in my 6.2 trucks. I live in Ohio, and I was running it 100% in the winter even. It would surge badly for a minute or so during the winter cold starts (0-30*f) and die if you tried to take off without ample warmup time. I never plugged in it regularly, but when I did, it helped alot, as you could imagine. The truck ran quieter and had more power. I know "in my mind" that oil burns ALOT hotter than diesel. I have witnessed it in my own waste oil heater in the shop. The more waste oil I burn compared to diesel fuel, the more I have to add air. I cut the wmo back some and achieve the same heat output as fuel.
ANYWAYS,
I have also ran it in my 6.5 with mixed results. It's a 94 with an older BD Diesel 40hp chip, holset he351cw with a 67/76 mm upgraded exhaust, holley blue lift pump, and top mounted intercooler. I have also bumped the timing up to 2.00btdc. With just 50/50 mix, it would randomly surge and buck, and some intermittant excessive ratteling. "I" am ok with that, but I'm sure most people wouldn't like it. I did try 100% and it ran, but shortly went into a reduced power and I had to pull the optic sensor for a cleaning. That is not a job for everyone. I have a few scan tools as well as a TEC2, so not too big of a deal for me, other than the work to do it. But I would not recommend it.

6.2's yes, all day long.
Hey mate better late than never, my 6.5 has the Mech db2 pump like your 6.2 it’s out of a us military hummer. I’m running it now on a blend 70% wmo and 30% jet fuel I also got for free, it’s loving it, (so far ) anyways thanks for chiming in. Did ur 6.2 ever need assistance getting the oil to pump, like an additional fuel pump etc? I’ve cut mine to what I think is close to the right viscosity n it seems to be working no probs. But you said you were using 100% wmo and just in collecting oil Ive seen pumps not enjoy oil

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ran wmo in a mechanical 6.5 for a few years. Having only one tank I ran 50/50 and starting/running wise it did better than the ford IDI.......for awhile. After (I dont remember how many miles, but several months of daily driver) awhile it would get quiet and somewhat smokey and stinky. Assumed that it with timing falling back in the pump, but what I found was hard white build up on the end of the injector nozzle that would all but block the fuel flow. I would have to pull the injectors and break that stuff off of the end to get it to run right again.

I tried water injection to maybe help with this, but never seemed to help much, so would just pull the injectors every so often and clean. was pretty easy on this truck so I just dealt with it. This was never used to tow, maybe that would have helped?

Always surprised me how easily it started on the mix even down to pretty cool temps. The fords, was always a no go unless it was really warm out.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks mate good too know. I’m in the process of setting up a separate tank with 3 way ball valves to shut it down on straight diesel from time too time n I’ll have that mixed with injector cleaner, hoping that letting it cool n soak in that periodically saves me the need for pulling injectors,

Black dawg

Reaction score
ANYWAYS,

6.2's yes, all day long.
You were able to start a 6.2 running on straight wmo at 0 degrees not plugged in?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx