What tools/spares should I bring for a cross country trip in a new to me truck?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next week I'm flying to Colorado to pick up my new to me 148k '94 F250 E4od 4x4 turbo. While it's been well maintained and I don't anticipate any problems, I do like to be prepared for what ever comes. We do have a good roadside assistance program, but you know how that can go... so bearing in mind that I'll be flying, what do you suggest that I bring in the way of tools? What about spare parts? I've got a good set of hard injection lines (thanks Corey!), but packing them so that they don't get smashed and keeping them from tripping the TSA goons :frustrate as flammable due to the diesel smell might be a nightmare...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd take a basic set of wrenches and screwdrivers, a small pack of zip ties, a couple spare fuses, maybe a length of wire, and I'd pick up a can of ether there just in case.

But if I made it from Texas to NY with my mess you should be fine hahaha

gandalf

Reaction score
On top of tools and spare parts, both of which must be severely limited because you're flying to Colorado, I'd make a list of forum members along your intended route. Many forum members would be happy to help you should you have problems. I believe there is even a list compiled here on this site, a list of members who have volunteered their help to other members, down to their abilities and their tools.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this is '94 and will have the serpentine drive on the front of the motor, I would take a spare belt, and the special tool kit used to change a serp. belt. I learned this the hard way and now keep these behind the back seat. I also carry a spare idler pulley and spare tensioner assembly, and the few additional tools needed to change them, with me at all times. Many other mechanical problems can be overcome with a few simple tools, wire and duct tape, but a problem with the serp. drive ain't one of them. When you pick up the truck, check the idler and tensioner pulleys for noise, play and smoothness. if they check out, chances are that you will be fine. I prefer the serp. drive over the v-belt system, but you should be prepared just in case. Also, remember the showerheads in the tanks could have fallen off, so don't let you fuel levels get below 1/4 tank. Good luck on your trip!

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how fast you want to blast out of CO, a lot of stuff can be purchased out there, fluids, etc. or shipped. Anytime I did my annual 500 mile trip, I always kept all necessary tools, filters, fluids, belts, etc. but happily never needed to use them.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3/8” hose clamps are a must, simple fix for leaking fuel lines or tranny cooler lines. I would take a good length of 3/8” hose as well in case you need to replace any soft lines or bypass a hard line and leaky olives.

If you have one I would take a cheap laser thermometer with you, with taking the truck across country during summer it’s very helpful to be able to see what temperatures things are getting to.

Usually the closed spring tensioners need a breaker bar to be collapsed enough to get the belt on, so if you can’t take a breaker bar with you but you have a spare belt, you can still route the belt on without any tools, just don’t go under the vacuum pump. You won’t have much power assist for you brakes but the engine won’t overheat and it will get you to the next town.

Jumper wires with some fuse holders will get you home in case of electrical issues, you can jump power to the pump and get where you need to go.

When you first pick up the truck I would put a gallon of atf in the front tank when you fill up, and a heavy dose of your favorite diesel additive in the rear, then start on the front tank.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On top of tools and spare parts, both of which must be severely limited because you're flying to Colorado, I'd make a list of forum members along your intended route. Many forum members would be happy to help you should you have problems. I believe there is even a list compiled here on this site, a list of members who have volunteered their help to other members, down to their abilities and their tools.

Thanks! I was wondering about forum members who might be able to help out in a 911 situation. Do you have any idea where I might find that list?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on how fast you want to blast out of CO, a lot of stuff can be purchased out there, fluids, etc. or shipped. Anytime I did my annual 500 mile trip, I always kept all necessary tools, filters, fluids, belts, etc. but happily never needed to use them.

That's a good idea! I don't think that the current owner would have a problem with me having some supplies shipped to his house.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3/8” hose clamps are a must, simple fix for leaking fuel lines or tranny cooler lines. I would take a good length of 3/8” hose as well in case you need to replace any soft lines or bypass a hard line and leaky olives.

If you have one I would take a cheap laser thermometer with you, with taking the truck across country during summer it’s very helpful to be able to see what temperatures things are getting to.

Usually the closed spring tensioners need a breaker bar to be collapsed enough to get the belt on, so if you can’t take a breaker bar with you but you have a spare belt, you can still route the belt on without any tools, just don’t go under the vacuum pump. You won’t have much power assist for you brakes but the engine won’t overheat and it will get you to the next town.

Jumper wires with some fuse holders will get you home in case of electrical issues, you can jump power to the pump and get where you need to go.

When you first pick up the truck I would put a gallon of atf in the front tank when you fill up, and a heavy dose of your favorite diesel additive in the rear, then start on the front tank.

Thanks friend!

So for the hose, if I'm understanding you correctly, if I crack a hard line, I can remove it and replace it with 3/8 hp fuel line and clamps. Is that correct? ATS to clean and lube?

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea! I don't think that the current owner would have a problem with me having some supplies shipped to his house.
No, he shouldn’t. You’re not a marginal buyer. He seems like a cool guy. After all, he’s a pilot!

gandalf

Reaction score
Thanks! I was wondering about forum members who might be able to help out in a 911 situation. Do you have any idea where I might find that list?

Actually, it's right about where I would expect to find it, in the 911 section.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/911-members-support-list-info-thread.3738/

Go over the list carefully. Many members listed seem to be missing in action. Some must have sold their trucks and no longer be members. Others may have simply lost interest. Whatever the case, you should use the list judicially. Many entries are dated.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the serp tool I have. It comes with the "breaker bar" and various sockets in a plastic holder. It also includes 3/8" and 1/2" socket adapters. I added a 13mm socket (tensioner pulley) and T50 Torx bit (idler pulley).
You must be registered for see images attach

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the serp tool I have. It comes with the "breaker bar" and various sockets in a plastic holder. It also includes 3/8" and 1/2" socket adapters. I added a 13mm socket (tensioner pulley) and T50 Torx bit (idler pulley).
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks! I found the Lisle serpentine belt tool you pictured on Amazon.com as well as another nice looking one from gearwrench. Since I've got zero experience with either, I thought I'd ask the collective which one I should have delivered to Colorado. They both look good, but maybe I'm missing something from an idi specific standpoint?
Here they are:
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-59000-Ratcheting-Serpentine-Belt/dp/B0019CQL2E

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002WSFT...D9&pd_rd_r=2JM23V0NBHXT738A9PBS&pd_rd_w=XceY7

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online