What to use instead of Mercon?

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok got the bottle out of my garage to make sure it wasnt type F. here is what it says:

meets mercon requirements, and do not use in mercon 5 or mercon SP.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in my C6 what should i be running. I just did a complete flush and filled up with Type F. Is that what i should be using? Or did i screw myself?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in my C6 what should i be running. I just did a complete flush and filled up with Type F. Is that what i should be using? Or did i screw myself?

It should say on your dipstick. However either Type F or Mercon is FINE in your transmission. Mercon will give softer shifts if that is something you desire.

The problem with Mercon V is that it is chemically incompatible with older transmission internals.

suv7734

Reaction score
A quick search of the suppliers shows most are still providing Dexron III/Mercon. Some are also showing products that are compatible with both the Mercon and Mercon V spec. Quaker State shows their product compatible with both. Pennzoil also shows a product (high mileage ATF) that is Mercon compatible which would make sense since all our transmissions are considered high mileage. Castrol, Havoline, Valvoline and Chevron all show Dexron III/Mercon as available.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Brad Penn is making it. They are rapidly turning into my favorite refinery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin