What to do?

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the squirrel mobile has about 226k on the clock and I'm starting to have a couple of problems. I have started noticing a surge in my rpm and longer crank times.

Also I have obtained a Jasper rebuilt engine that is said to have 5500 miles on it. Also I got a freshly rebuilt IP and injectors with it. The rebuild on the IP and inj was done here in Tulsa by Thompson Diesel a very trustworthy diesel shop. According to the guy I got the engine off of he has had it about 2 yrs and he had it removed from a wrecked uhaul he had bought. Jasper said according to their s/n on the block it was rebuilt in may of 07, so I feel better about the stated mileage.

Plan is to install the Jasper engine and rebuilt IP and inj in the squirrel mobile but what is everyones ideas about what I should do to the engine first. I don't plan to turbo it so I don't think I need to stud the heads but will do head gaskets. What else besides gaskets and seals.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to guess your surging and longer crank times have more to do with the IP and injectors than anything else.

I recently started to notice i also have a slight surge in power when going down the freeway, its not always constant, and sometimes its worse than others. Are there other issues you are having that make you want to swap engines?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
the advance piston is one of the first items to go when the pumps get old. you might not need to replace the block at all really. refreshing the fuel system will probubly get you where you want. if the truck was cared for at all that kind of miliage wouldent scare me at all.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would have to say your going to a lot of effort just to correct a problem that can be fixed by swapping that IP and injectors from your other motor. Get those injectors pop tested though, and replace them if they are no good! ;Sweet

Hmm... let's see..... 2 hour job, or 10 hour job..... um... yeah, I'll take the 2 hour job. Oh, and then you don't need to buy new coolant, and other fluids all at once either.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the engine all the fluids and filters to do the swap. Only reason for considering a engine swap is the low miles on the "new" engine and the unknown condition/treatment/service history on the original motor. Mileage don't scare me, but the fact that it sat for an unknown amount of time and not knowing the service history does concern me.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jasper doesn't have the best reputation for IDI rebuilds. The IP you have from that Jasper motor......... how long has it sat unused?

If it has been a while, that IP may not be so good anymore. They get dry and corrosion will start, seals will become brittle and I can almost guaranty the metering valve will stick. Not trying to rain on your parade, but that is the nature of an unused DB2.

Heath

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath the IP has only sat for about 3-4 months. I've never heard anything bad about Jasper but have never deal with a Jasper IDI motor either. Jasper has a good rep when it comes to gassers so I assumed, oh there's that assumed word, that they would be as good on oil burners.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I see no reason to "open up" the Jasper motor for gaskets. Thats what I'm reading in your post but... If it has a cork or rubber type oil pan gasket get rid of it. The factory used rtv and I have done all my motors that way without any leaks ever. Other than that just install it and run it. Or take the injectors and pump off it and install them on the motor you have in the rig now and see how it runs. Then if your still unhappy ... Then pull the motor and install the Jaspers. The 2 hours or 10 hours is a very close time factor for doing a removel install....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin